Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Torque converter help pleae

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2015, 01:32 PM
1 Year Member
Default Torque converter help pleae

I need some expert advice please.

I haveca 86 ss with 350 330hp ho chevy small block crate deluxe motor. When I put the motor in I don't remember what torque converter I had put in. Now I just added a super charger kit to the motor. Car is pushing over 400. Problem is that when I drive the car goes to 3000 rpm's at 25-35 miles before shifting into 2 gear and then it drives like a beast. I am thinking I have 2800 rpm converter. Was thinking about a 2200rpm. Any body who can really help me. I am looking to get that low end torque. I want a good street able car

Old 11-22-2015, 01:28 PM

Are you saying the converter is too loose for the street?

The part that confuses me is that you say it goes to 3000 rpm at about 30 mph and then shifts and drives like a beast. To me, that implies that the car feels slow below that.

If that is what you mean, that is a bit counterintuitive since a higher stall converter should really be helping out of the hole (assuming the tires can hook up). It'll give you more pep from a launch since it gets you into the powerband more quickly.

Old 12-10-2015, 05:10 PM

you have the throttle pressure cable adj. to high. you need to have this adj. perfectly if you are using 2004r or your next project will be pulling the trannie out for a rebuild. is it a 4 spd. trannie.

Old 12-10-2015, 05:22 PM

i just put roller rockers and a stud girdal in my 86 ss and went out and tried it out. on the second doughnut a loud pop happened and then nothing no foward or reverse. i thought the converter broke so i bought a new patc converter and after ordering it i started reading about 2004r's and learned about the drive drum is really bad about breaking the shaft out of the drum so i took it apart and there it was a broken shaft on the end of the drive drum just like they said it would be. i read that the hardened drums were a waist of $200. and the $400. drums with the new steel shafts was a little better. i just bought a new g.m. stock drum and going to put that back in. my buddy who works on all the turbo buicks said that when it shifted into second is when the shock broke the shaft. he said if i'd put it in low gear it wouldn't have broke.

Last edited by rumpfox; 12-10-2015 at 05:27 PM.