Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

6th Gen ('00-'05): Top swap

Old 01-13-2017, 08:01 AM
Default Top swap

I have a 2000 monte carlo ss. it's has all stock internals except the suspension. I wanna do a top swap but I would like to know from people who have done them. what do I need?

Old 01-14-2017, 11:20 AM

Two options:
-the expensive (but easier) way is the zzp ss kit. With this kit, you can leave the heads, balancer, etc in place and just swap on the new LIM and blower/tb. It gets expensive because you need their fuel rails, their machined lim (for the injectors) and their pulley. Because it uses an oddball sc pulley, there aren't a lot of options for sizes, but it's enough to cover the basic setups.
-the cheaper (but harder to install) way is to buy all of the l67 parts and swap them on. You need to swap the balancer, add the idler tower, swap the coil pack bracket/tensioner, the heads, lim, fuel rail, injectors, blower, throttle body, etc. They also sell a wiring harness kit to relocate the map sensor (you'll need the l67 one it it's bracket) and also to add the wire to the pcm for the bbv solenoid.

Keep in mind that either way you'll need to do something about the tune. It certainly is an involved project, but even the full top swap isn't much worse than a head gasket swap and balancer change.
​​

Search this Thread