Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

7th Gen ('06-'07): Cartuning turbo kit

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2017, 08:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Cartuning turbo kit

Well tomorrow is the day I've been dreaming about. Worked hard all year, and will be ordering the Cartuning turbo kit for my 07 SS. Right now it has about 28k miles. Super excited to see what this kit will do. Current setup were doug Thornley headers, disabled tune, CAI intake, and custom MagnaFlow cat back exhaust. Kevin says it will be 2-4 weeks before the kit arrives. Plan on adding a custom ls9 cam. Drooling thinking about the possiblilities!

Old 01-24-2017, 11:40 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Heavy Chevy 08
Well tomorrow is the day I've been dreaming about. Worked hard all year, and will be ordering the Cartuning turbo kit for my 07 SS. Right now it has about 28k miles. Super excited to see what this kit will do. Current setup were doug Thornley headers, disabled tune, CAI intake, and custom MagnaFlow cat back exhaust. Kevin says it will be 2-4 weeks before the kit arrives. Plan on adding a custom ls9 cam. Drooling thinking about the possiblilities!
Now your talking, your Monte will come to life for you. Welcome to the Turbo club. It will be interesting to see where your power levels peak could be a brutally fast car you have created. Congrats to you, hope it installs half way easy for you.... Nicey...

Old 01-25-2017, 08:23 AM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2016
10 Year Member

Awesome man! Welcome to the dark side!! I would keep in mind a transmission build because with all the added power I'm sure that will be next on the list to have to upgrade. Keep us posted on install and pics. You gonna Dyno it?

Old 01-25-2017, 09:44 AM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by ZIPPY02
Now your talking, your Monte will come to life for you. Welcome to the Turbo club. It will be interesting to see where your power levels peak could be a brutally fast car you have created. Congrats to you, hope it installs half way easy for you.... Nicey...
Yeah I'm looking forward to seeing what it can do. I work shift work and won't have a lot of time to.put it together so one of the performance shops here in Houston will be installing it, along with a custom ls9 cam, and valve springs. We shall see!

Old 01-25-2017, 09:47 AM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by turbo monte
Awesome man! Welcome to the dark side!! I would keep in mind a transmission build because with all the added power I'm sure that will be next on the list to have to upgrade. Keep us posted on install and pics. You gonna Dyno it?
I'm anticipating the tranny makeover. Gonna start with the cam, valve springs, and performance motor mounts. And then see what i break alomg the way...lol. Once the performance shops gets everything installed they are going to dyno and tune it after the initial tune that cartuning does to get it going. Will definitely be posting pics and a video of the dyno

Old 01-25-2017, 07:07 PM

Out of curiousity, why an ls9 cam? I know they're dirt cheap even new, but a couple hundred more bucks can get you a good aftermarket cam that will make a lot more power.

I just figure the labor is by far going to be the biggest cost by far with the cam so you may as well get the most bang for your buck out of it.

Old 01-25-2017, 08:14 PM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by bumpin96monte
Out of curiousity, why an ls9 cam? I know they're dirt cheap even new, but a couple hundred more bucks can get you a good aftermarket cam that will make a lot more power.

I just figure the labor is by far going to be the biggest cost by far with the cam so you may as well get the most bang for your buck out of it.
Got alot of great reviews from people who've opted for it in many diff apps. Originally being used on the zr1, we know it's rated for 600+ (which I eventually plan on getting to), the sound on it is throatier yet still subtle at idle, and screams easily @6500 rpm. The lingenfelter ls9 cam was my original choice, and then the shop wanted to build a custom cam so I obliged.

Last edited by Heavy Chevy 08; 01-25-2017 at 08:16 PM.
Old 01-25-2017, 08:41 PM

Gotcha, I missed the part where you had mentioned a custom cam. That's definitely a much better way to go. No doubt an ls9 cam would pick up a little power, but nowhere near what an aftermarket cam would that isn't held back by trying to meet emissions/nvh/fuel economy targets. Not to mention, it's designed for a roots blower car - not exactly ideal for a turbo setup.

The nice thing with a custom cam is they'll be able to dial it in for exactly what you want. I'm sure you'll be real happy with it.

Last edited by bumpin96monte; 01-25-2017 at 09:13 PM.
Old 01-25-2017, 09:04 PM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by bumpin96monte
Gotcha, I missed the part where you had mentioned a custom cam. That's definitely a much better way to go. The ls9 would certainly pick up some power, but its only real benefit is being dirt cheap. With how awful a cam swap is to do, especially on an ls4, you'll definitely be a lot happier with a good custom cam. May as well get something set up for your combo specifically if you're going to go through all the trouble.
Yeah you got a good point. I'm sure they'll be alot of trial and error with modding and figuring out what works best

Last edited by Heavy Chevy 08; 01-25-2017 at 10:15 PM.
Old 01-27-2017, 01:13 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Heavy Chevy 08
Yeah you got a good point. I'm sure they'll be alot of trial and error with modding and figuring out what works best
Sounds like your shop is getting serious with your build. My shop did a custom grind on my cam too. Way to optimize the end results.