Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Timing belt maybe??

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 04:54 PM
Default Timing belt maybe??

Here's a question for the DOHC guys. My 97 runs just okay right now. I have a temp gauge issue, so on occasion my temp gauge reads HOT and the warning light comes on. The shop says it's likely the gauge itself as I already replaced the temp sensor behind the exhaust, flushed and bled the radiator, new T-stat, new radiator cap.[:@] The temp also reads within specs with the infra red gun.
Anyway, that probably isn't affecting my issue since it's the same whether or not the gauge reads HOT or not.
From a dead stop if I floor it the car will take off with all the swiftness of a Ford Fiesta. When the RPM's get to about 3000-3500 the car really catches it's breath. The problem is that the low end is so lethargic that I can only get a 9.5 second 0-60. I have yet to do the plugs as i am dreading the job and haven't decided on which plugs to run. Any reccomendations?
An additional note, if I accelerate hard, it sounds like a supercharger...but I am obviously a NA 3.4 DOHC. Any ideas? I'm just wondering if the timing belt would offer any of these symptoms if it was nearing the end of it's life.
Thanks in advance.

Old 06-26-2008, 07:26 PM
Default RE: Timing belt maybe??

Vaccuum leak. Or I think they have an air injector pump that goes bad on those sometimes. Don't ask me what in the world they do but that's what it sounds like to me. Have you replaced the intake gaskets or head gaskets? But it sounds more like a vaccuum leak to me.

Old 06-26-2008, 08:43 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2009
5 Year Member

The "supercharger" whine is from your transmission. Its not a good noise to hear. Mine makes it and it slips a bit. I did my plugs and I used autolite platinums. The emissions sticker said to gap them to .060", which I did. It wouldnt run after I put it back together. I ended up regapping them two more times meaning I tore the intake and stuff off two more times. I finally gapped them at .045 and it runs fine. How many miles do you have. If you are nearing 70 or 80 thousand and you have the original belt, I would replace it anyway because thats the end of its lifespan.

Old 06-27-2008, 06:18 AM

Thanks for the timely replies!
I had a code from an emissions purge valve, I changed the valve and the code remains after being reset. Perhaps this has to do with the air pump.
The "rear" head gasket was done by the PO, maybe the seal wasn't good on the intake causing a vacuum leak. What would be the best way to find a leak, the smoke test?
My car has 152K miles, so the timing belt would need to have been changed once, and is probably due again. I love my car, but damn, it loves my wallet as much as my 91 XJ and is harder to work on.
Interesting to hear the plugs worked at .045 and not factory reccomended .060. Anyone else run into this issue? I would like to only do it once.
My transmission was just serviced not too long ago, two thousand miles or so. It doesn't slip that I can feel and I believe it will whine when in 1 only, not D or OD...now I'll pay more attention.
Thanks for the help guys.
On top of this, some JO hit my car in my work parking lot, smashed my rear tail light, rear side indicator, and pushed in the rear fender and bumper. Arrrgh, and I have a $500 deductable.[&o]
Anyone have a spare tail light? lol

Old 06-30-2008, 06:38 AM

As I was searching for a vacuum leak, I brought the car up to 3000 RPM's and noticed a tremendous "surging", you can physically hear the engine pulsing...very wierd. I think I got myself into a bad situation with this car

Old 06-30-2008, 03:13 PM

in response to RYSZ34, there is not an air injection or smog pump on the 97's, last ones were on the 96's. weird.
I'm probably going to do plugs and intake/ pcv gasket tomorrow, so I'll see what happens after that.

Old 06-30-2008, 03:24 PM

Keep us updated on the situation. Matt (MRL390) and Dave (Z34 Phoenix) I think his name is Dave....are the guys to talk to about the 95-97 Z34's with the 3.4 DOHC. You're in good hands. LOL.