Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Thinking about supercharging my 3.8 ss stock! Need experienced help!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 04:03 PM

Be carefull with turboing. At LVMS i watched a guy blow a piston threw his hood on the line while priming his turbo on a 2001 MCSS. Definitely to much work for complete destruction. THe problem is the stock block rejects the boost and just fails.

Old 05-18-2010, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by JOETHEPRO
Be carefull with turboing. At LVMS i watched a guy blow a piston threw his hood on the line while priming his turbo on a 2001 MCSS. Definitely to much work for complete destruction. THe problem is the stock block rejects the boost and just fails.
You are very very wrong about that. A properly set up turbo, with proper fueling and a proper tune will not destroy a stock block- heck ZZP was doing mid 8's on a stock L67 bottom end, and there have been L36 bottom ends over 400 whp. So saying that either stock bottom end is weak, or can't handle boost is complete nonsense.

Not sure what happened to that specific car/engine- but something was wrong- boost controller let the turbo overrev, fuel pump couldn't keep up, engine had low oil pressure or plugged oil passages- something.

Stock 3800 bottom ends don't just come apart magically when fed boost- there are thousands and thousands of NA 3800's that have done top swaps, turbo setups, or CSC kits.

Old 05-19-2010, 03:42 AM

thats just what i was told buy a tuner in Vegas. I was thinking about using the car tuning turbo set up and he highly recommended i didnt do it for that issue. What your saying makes sense and the people that blow their motors to shreds are probably doing something that pushes the limits of their set up. I like the turbo set up just afraid it would ruin my car since its a daily driver.

Old 05-19-2010, 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by JOETHEPRO
thats just what i was told buy a tuner in Vegas. I was thinking about using the car tuning turbo set up and he highly recommended i didnt do it for that issue. What your saying makes sense and the people that blow their motors to shreds are probably doing something that pushes the limits of their set up. I like the turbo set up just afraid it would ruin my car since its a daily driver.
If you're that afraid of it- don't listen to the tuner who obviously doesn't know 3800's- make a post on clubgp or 3800pro asking if a bolt on turbo kit will blow your engine up- and you'll get a ton of responses from people who have done turbos just fine. Actually, the bulk of the engine is the same between the SC and NA engines, and the factory thought it was ok to run boost on.

Also, there are better kits than the cartuning kit IMO- look into the zzp Z3, Z7, or stattama kits depending what level you're going for.

Old 05-19-2010, 08:41 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

x1000 on ZZP Z3 / Z7 instead of the CT kit.

You just have to make sure you support what you want to do on the turbo and it will be safe. The most you might have to change is the UIM to the L26 UIM so it's aluminum instead of plastic, but even that isn't NECESSARY.

The worst thing you can do though is just trust an off-the-shelf tune for your turbo.

Old 05-20-2010, 10:49 AM

I just ended up deciding to leave my car N/A. I like it that way and i am gonna work on making my project car a beast.(1980 Vette)

Old 05-20-2010, 09:07 PM

I just ended up deciding to leave my car N/A. I like it that way
You like being NA better than SC or TC? lolz...

Old 05-20-2010, 11:58 PM

as a daily driver yeah. i have a 527 ram jet chevy crate motor for my corvette. Why have two high performance cars i prefer rear wheel drive power anyway.

Old 05-21-2010, 06:25 AM

Why have two high performance cars
I wouldn't really call a factory SC swap'd 3800 or a bolt on turbo kit 3800 a 'high performance car' though. I mean we're only talking a 13/14 second car- I'd consider that just a little more fun of a daily driver.

Personally, I can't stand having my daily driver be too slow, or too boring, you know?

Old 05-21-2010, 08:29 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by bumpin96monte
I can't stand having my daily driver be too slow
I agree

Quick Reply: Thinking about supercharging my 3.8 ss stock! Need experienced help!!