Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

think it may be time for new trans

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2011, 06:19 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default think it may be time for new trans

Hey all... for those who don't know me on here, I bought my 99 z34 2 years ago in june. When I got her, she didn't have o/d... I am still driving her to and from work and have taken her on a few road trips to indiana again with no o/d.

Now, I spoke with my mechanic a few days ago, he was telling me his sons 98 grand prix has 1&2 go out on his transmission... when his son did research, he came up with needing a new trans. Last night, I went to leave a red light and all of a sudden, my car started off like it was in second gear, it got up to speed, it just took a minute. I'm looking into getting a new trans when he replaces his sons, I just need mine to last about another month or so until I can get the time.
I put some "mucus" trans fix in it last night hoping to prolong the life of it.

The car has 246,xxx miles, for all I know its the original trans.
I changed the filter in it about 10, 000 miles ago... it has been changed before that as the fluid was still red and everything was mostly clean...

HELP!

Old 12-30-2011, 06:20 AM

One least thing, it doesn't take off like its in second all of the time, only once in a blue.

Old 12-30-2011, 12:29 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

That does suck the trans might be on it's way out, but at least you have a TON of miles on that trans!!!

I so far am sporting the original trans on my '94 Grand Am with 210,000+ miles. I've changed the trans fluid/filter twice now (100,000 mile interval on the trans fluid). So far, so good.

Old 12-30-2011, 02:26 PM

So how often do most change the filter/fluid I'm thinking about doing mine after I pull the car out after winter I have no clue if it has been done or when the last time it was done was, it has about 77,700 I think on the car, didnt come with a booklet but I saved mine from my 04 LS that also had the 05 supercharged info in it lol

Old 12-30-2011, 03:41 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by BlackRainSS
So how often do most change the filter/fluid
Your fluid/filter change interval is dependent on your driving conditions. Such as a hotter climate or location with lots of up hill climbs, you should change the fluid/filter more frequently.

I live in a fairly flat terrain with a variety of temps (Cleveland Ohio). So I've changed mine at about every 100,000. I plan to change the Monte and the wife's Mustang not because of mileage but AGE (cheap insurance, good maintenance). The Monte and the Mustang get winterized and well, they don't see anything but summer miles, the fluid is getting old.

Old 12-30-2011, 03:45 PM

Mine was shifting hard, changed the fluids (Which was fairly reddish/pinkish) and filter.
Added some Lucas Transmission Fix, I figured this would be a good deterrent.
I know most likely I will eventually have to rebuild the tranny, but I did notice a much smoother shifting.
Hope it works out for ya.

Old 12-30-2011, 07:40 PM
Zen
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Some time a tranny flush can fix/change the way the tranny shifts even if the fluid is still red.A lot of times if there is shifting concerns i'll recomend a flush first before digging in to the tranny 9 times out of 10 this will take care of most concerns.But theres always trannys that are just going or burned up.

Old 12-31-2011, 06:41 AM

Thanks guys, id recommend changing the fluid/filter every 80k but that's me.

If you're in hotter climate, every 70k. It will eventually fail, but hey... you're trying to prolong it failing.

My poor eleanor had 194k miles when I bought her and was so abused/ neglected that I bought her specifically to save her from a horrible fate

Old 12-31-2011, 08:31 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2013
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Back in my lube shop days we said every 80,000 km the filter should be done. But that was before Dex6. I still think a good rule is that you should never see fluid color change at all - should always be bright red. Change it if it ain't

I like the "Mucus" reference. I haven't heard that one before and I will use that a lot!

Old 12-31-2011, 10:48 AM

Ok Thanks for all the help guys didnt mean to halfway highjack the thread by just asking how oftend the fluid/filter is changed lol my bad Augi, my car shifts great nice and smooth not rough, I haven't owned it for long though so I don't know if its been changed just as a precaution I will probably get it done at 80k. Thanks again guys.

Quick Reply: think it may be time for new trans