Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Thermostat????

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2007, 02:50 AM
Default Thermostat????

Hey guys, I have done a decent amount of mods (check my signature) and I was wondering if I needed to do the 180* thermostat. I have the 3400, and was also wondering if anyone has a how to for the engine.

Old 03-24-2007, 08:14 AM
Default RE: Thermostat????

yes you could benifit from runing a 180* stat. it wont be noticable in power, but you should see lower engine temps and it will be much safer for your engine.

Old 03-28-2007, 11:58 PM
Default RE: Thermostat????

I'll debate this one. You have no need for a 180* T-stat. The lower T-stat is used for lowering engine temps, but you have no reason to unless you are using forced induction or have a higher compression ratio.

The lower T-Stat is actually worse for your engine. Engines work best when completely warmed up at 195. By lowering 15 degrees you accomplish more engine wear, really not that noticable really, but you do lower the thermatic efficiency of the engine. Optimum burn temperature for gas is 195* in an engine as it burns the most gas in the most efficient way. By dropping the engine temp you are not burning as much gas and getting less power.

More reading if interested.

With regards to forced induction engines: supercharged or turboed - when the air gets compressed it gets hotter. This is why the superchared guys have less compression 8.5 comparred to 9.6 I believe becuase if the compression was the same, the KR would be through the roof. In a nutshell a the 195 temp, the gas is getting close to predetonating without spark

To make it real easy, gas will burn quicker and more thoroughly if it is 195 degrees comparred to if it is 0 degrees. In real life, you can notice this same effect in winter. You will get much less gas milage overall in winter because the engine takes longer to heat up... even if you don't "warm up the engine before driving."

Also off this, why do you warm up the engine before driving in cold weather? - Well to get the oil more fluidic, to reduce wear on the cylinder walls, and also to reduce wear on other parts in the engine.