Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Supercharger pulley question?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 07:39 PM
Default Supercharger pulley question?

I have a 2004 Supercharged SS and I want to get the smaller pulley, but I need to know exactly what to do. I need to know what website I can get it from and if I can buy it without having to go through the extra headaches. I want to be able to get it and have it put in and ride out. I also won't get it if it will harm my engine

Old 02-23-2008, 09:19 PM
Default RE: Supercharger pulley question?

I also won't get it if it will harm my engine
First of all, please list all the other mods you have. If you don't have the supporting mods to run the pulley size you want, it will harm your engine- you'll chip pistons. Most L67s have knock stock; so you'll want to have enough mods to get rid of that, plus some leeway to be able to add more boost.

I need to know what website I can get it from and if I can buy it without having to go through the extra headaches
Many websites carry them, I'll just give an example of the ones I use, but keep in mind there are many other options (probably at least 4 different modular, and 10 different press on companies).

Regardless which pulley you get, you'll need to buy the correct puller to remove the stock pulley and press on your new pulley/hub. So buy/rent this:

http://www.zzperformance.com/grand_p...&catid=111

Don't use a normal pulley puller (ie 2 jaw/3 jaw).

Secondyou have to decide what you want to run, a press on, or modular pulley system. A press on pulley is like this:

And is as difficult to change as your stock pulley is. It has to be pressed off and pressed on like your stock pulley (if you ever decide to mod more and go to a smaller pulley). It takes maybe 30 minutes or so to switch pullies and is a pretty physical job.

Option B is to get a modular pulley like this:

It is a little more expensive up front, but has two advantages. One is that it is usually made in an 8 rib pulley size, in case you later decide to upgrade all the other pullies to run an 8 rib belt instead of the stock 6 rib to prevent slippage (usually not a big deal until you get into fairly small pullies). However, the main advantage is the fact that its literally 5 screws, and the pulley is off (once you slide the belt off). A pulley change now is cut down to 5 minutes, and the most physical part isundoing the 5 little screws and putting new ones on.

But the key is to match the pulley size to your mod level. Stock and mildly modded cars should stick with the stock pulley- and the more mods you get (once you achieve 0 knock), the smaller a pulley you can go to, meaning the more boost you'll make and the more power you'll make.

I want to be able to get it and have it put in and ride out.
I don't understand what this means. You need to buy/rent a puller like above, and with it being your first time, you'll probably spend a good 20-30 minutes getting the stock pulley off, and its a pretty physical job. Pressing on your new pulley (or hub for a modular setup) is the reverse of removal using the same puller, and will probably only take 15 minutes since you'll be used to how the puller is setup and what goes where.

Its not a terrible install, but it does take some time and effort.

Old 02-24-2008, 06:51 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

What he said. You MUST have supporting mods BEFORE you change your pulley.
IMO: #1 mod, a GOOD cold air intake. #2 mod, u-bend delete pipe. These should be done even if you DON'T change your pulley.
Then, 2 step colder plugs, non platinum, and a 180 deg thermostat. That will support a 3.5" pulley, but now you probably need a new ECM to support the extra boost. Next is a larger TB, spacer, headers or a power log manifold, and high flow cat. That will support a 3.4, Add an intercooler and headers, and probably a 3.2" will work, maybe smaller. What did I miss?
Point of all this is, how many $,$$$ do you have to do this?

Old 02-24-2008, 09:01 AM

Ok Thanx I done think I will be getting that done again

My mods are:

U-bend delete
exhaust
resonator delete
hi-flow cat

Future mods:

CAI (spring)
3" downpipe

Old 02-24-2008, 10:34 AM

ORIGINAL: tlip06
My mods are:

U-bend delete
exhaust
resonator delete
hi-flow cat
Definitely don't even bother switching to a smaller pulley. Your only real knock reducing mods would be the ubend delete, and to a very small extent the resonator delete. The rest of the exhaust doesn't make a difference, and the stock cat flows pretty well unless its all clogged up- so I doubt either of them helped get rid of knock.

The stock pulley is your best bet for now

Future mods:
CAI (spring)
3" downpipe
Both definitely good mods to do, although you will still probably be iffy on dropping pulley sizes. I'd switch out your plugs to some coppers, 1 stage colder or so, and then I'd drop in a 180* thermostat.

Then possibly you could go to a 3.6" or 3.5", but I kinda doubt you could run either totally knock free. I'd probably add a powerlog too since itsso cheap and helps get rid of the last bit of knock.

I'd say definitely no way you'd run a 3.4" with even all the mods listed above. Your best bet to be sure is to find someone local who has a scan tool, and go for some WOT passes while logging the KR parameter. If its running consistently >0 at WOT, then do more supporting mods before dropping pulley sizes.