Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Engine Cover Noise

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 09:36 AM
Default Engine Cover Noise

Anyone know a perm. fix for this? 2006 3500V6 MC.

The rattle even causes the center console to vibrate...

Old 02-25-2008, 10:22 AM
Default RE: Engine Cover Noise

let me get this straight...ur engine cover is vibrating and its causing ur center counsole to vibrate?

Old 02-25-2008, 11:07 AM

Engine coverrattles and it is felt in the passenger compartment and the console vibrates at times along with it. Had my wife is in the car with it in Drive running and I was able to to pinpoint the rattle to the engine cover.

Old 02-25-2008, 12:27 PM

My console rattles, only started when I installed the exhaust. DO you have a aftermarket exhaust?

Maybe remove the engine cover, casue the cover is not casuing the vibration.

Old 02-25-2008, 01:04 PM

I definitely know the engine cover is rattling because when I physically hold it with my hands it goes away with the car it drive.

Old 02-25-2008, 02:34 PM

ORIGINAL: bonang

My console rattles, only started when I installed the exhaust. DO you have a aftermarket exhaust?

Maybe remove the engine cover, casue the cover is not casuing the vibration.
Same here, but I still don't think my cover rattles even now, even though everything else in the car does, including my iPod and anything else in the cup holder.

ORIGINAL: 24_48Fan

I definitely know the engine cover is rattling because when I physically hold it with my hands it goes away with the car it drive.
If it is rattling then you should probably make sure it's sitting right, and if it is but still rattles you could always just take it off...

Old 02-25-2008, 04:14 PM

ORIGINAL: 24_48Fan

when I physically hold it with my hands it goes away with the car it drive.
Ok, we have some gramatical or logical issues in this sentance and it has me totally lost... nothing personal, we all drop the ball.

I get this part "when I physically hold it with my hands it goes away". Your outside of the car with the hood up and you press down the engine cover the rattle stops. Check.

"With the car it drive" Here is where I'm lost. Maybe it is something simple as "in drive" as that colaborates with your second post so I'm going to run with that.

Ok, first are you putting alot of pressure on the cover to get it to stop vibrating or just lightly touching it.

If it is just touchin it, you probably just needto tighten something down or add in a spacer to give the cover a more snug fit. Look for areas where it might be rubbing - you will see distinct marks where there really shouldn't beany, scratches,or off coloring where paint has been scraping.

If you need to put alot of pressure, you probably need a rubber gasket added somewhere which will allow you to tighten it down harder and loose some of the hard contacts.

Old 02-25-2008, 05:12 PM

Sorry, carpel tunnel makes it difficult to type pain free. My wife has the car in drive and slightly turns the wheel and I hear the rattle. I put light hand pressure on it and the rattle goes away. What mounts the cover to top of the engine? Once it warms up thenI will take a look.

Thanks.

Old 02-25-2008, 05:31 PM

One loose motor mount and the whole car will resonate the rattle.
Did you jack on the engine when you did the exhaust work?

If the engine is loose. Whatever is loose on the engine is sure to be rattling or vibrating. That this happens with the car in gear leads me to believe you have a Motor Mount that needs to be overhauled ... or, replaced!

Old 02-25-2008, 05:56 PM

If the engine cover is rattling that violently, that must mean the whole engine is rattling/vibrating. Like Rick said, its probably a motor mount.

Quick Reply: Engine Cover Noise