Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Supercharger info.

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 08:34 PM

thank you gentle men you gave Tom.M better information then i could i was giving just a run about ideas. thank you for your help again

Old 01-23-2011, 10:20 PM

any ideas are most welcomed. I looked around and i think I'll go with the turbo. its more money but i think in the long run I may be happier.

Old 01-27-2011, 06:48 PM

awesome. but tell me this, if you had a choice what would you install? the supercharger or a turbo?
IMO this is comparing apples to oranges. Since the supercharger and all of its related parts (ie heads, lower intake, etc) are OEM GM parts off another car, you can get them for dirt cheap. The pre-packaged kits (where a store sources all the parts for you) run about $1000- but I've seen people gather all the parts for under $500 (the only expensive parts are the SC and heads).

The turbo setups on the other hand tend to start $2500+ for a brand new kit, and $2000 or so for a used kit. They definitely make more power- but also cost a good bit more initially too.

Old 01-28-2011, 06:57 PM

oh yeah. big cost! the "Cartuning Performance 3800 Turbo Kit" i was looking at is about $3000 while looking at the supercharger kits like you said are a 1000 or below. I'm weighing out my options. reading around at what others have done on both sides.

Old 01-28-2011, 08:25 PM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2011
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

That's the best thing to do is look around first. If you want, ZZP has a CSC kit like mine at their shop. It's used, but so was my kit. The last I heard they wanted $2000 for the kit. It's worth it too. By adding the CSC and some 42.5# injectors, my Monte has put down 126whp more so far then when I was NA.

Old 01-29-2011, 01:29 AM

nice numbers. I need to come out with extra funding for this and I'm going to be doing this next winter. just to give me something to do when the show seasons over.

Old 02-04-2011, 11:29 PM

@ziiper, I am checking on the samething Tom.M is so what I will like to know is.... How about my trans was rebuilt last october. Does that count for a fairly new trans with a turbo installed? And where do you get this "turbo" from because I am HIGHLY interested in getting it done VERY VERY SOON. Once you stated 500hp, hell Tom.M, the mustangs and camaro's ain't go have no choice but too work for it regardless and STILL LOOSE......LOL

Old 02-05-2011, 12:03 AM

Also, by having either (super charger or turbo), would it result in burning more gas then without them?

By reading all what the experienced members have been through with their "top swaps" & "SSM90's", honestly I am still unsure of what to get. I pretty much figure that I do want 400 - 500hp+ but I don't want to be gaining hp's but loosing whateva else. As you guys can see, I am totally lost on what to get and where to get it installed. Hell, for that matter, how much would it cost to get it install. I also have 135k on the dash so doing any mods to the 3800 I got will help or decrease?

Old 02-05-2011, 01:26 PM

that I do want 400 - 500hp+
Assuming that you're talking wheel horsepower, the most extreme supercharged builds aren't touching 500whp, even the vendor cars (as far as roots style blowers anyways). Turbo builds can push over 400whp on the stock heads and cam, and an extreme turbo build can push some pretty impressive numbers. A CSC or twin screw setup could probably push numbers close to what a turbo setup can, but those builds are pretty rare considering that none of the 3800 vendors make kits for them anymore (cheaper/easier to do a turbo setup, so the csc/twin screw kits didn't really sell).

For a general reference, this is a link to clubgp's top HP cam chart (sorted by power adder and by cam type)...it will show you what numbers certain setups are making on the dyno.
would it result in burning more gas then without them?
Depends. You're going to burn more gas when you're in boost no matter which power adder you use. Your gas mileage will vary greatly depending on your drivetrain setup and how heavy your right foot is.
Also, forced induction is generally set up to run a high octane fuel as well, you may want to take that into consideration if fuel costs are a concern for you.
I also have 135k on the dash so doing any mods to the 3800 I got will help or decrease?
What mods? Help or decrease what?
Does that count for a fairly new trans with a turbo installed?
If you're seriously considering planning a build to push over 400hp at the wheels, you're going to want a built trans on a car as heavy as this. Our engines are pretty much bulletproof, our transmissions are crap.
The only advantage that you'd have with a freshly rebuilt transmission (assuming a mild turbo build) is that turbos tend to be easier on the hard parts in the trans than supercharges are...you'd likely be fine until you stretched the chain in the trans.
I don't want to be gaining hp's but loosing whateva else.
how much would it cost to get it install.
Based on that, I'm guessing that the car is a daily driver and you're not going to be able to do the work yourself. Not exactly a great combo for doing a high horsepower build honestly. I'm guessing that by "loosing" you meant "losing", but either way the fact is that on big builds...stuff breaks.

If I were you, I'd read up on the general mod plan for 3800's sticky, and start searching around some of the other forums that tend to be a bit more performance oriented. That will give you an idea of everything you'd need to accomplish your goals, what other people have done that has worked well (and what hasn't), and which vendors have what you need to accomplish those goals.

Best of luck,
-Riggs.