Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

super charge my 04 LS monte 3400

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 11:55 AM

i was looking at one 3 years ago when i bought the monte, but they wanted g8 gt money for a 2dr gxp street edition(granted it would have been brand new). at the time i just wanted a new car that would be a nice daily driver. im glad i bought the car i did. to my knowledge they dont make much for the motors for the g6.

Old 05-24-2011, 03:24 PM
3 Year Member

their still beuatiful cars i love em, the 4 doors are more apealing than the 2 doors though, looks to much like an egg :\ espeicly if its a bright color, loooks like a ****ing easter egg lol

Old 05-24-2011, 06:56 PM

I'd trade my monte for a G6 in a heart beat : D such lovely cars.
Honestly, they're kinda boring to drive. I've had a couple as rentals/loaners and they seemed even more basic commuter than a stock monte by a good bit.

I like the look of the GXP street editions- but as Monte Man said- the prices on them are a pretty steep markup over just a plain base model.

how is an engine swop gonna run me over the value of my car?
I didn't mean it would be over the value of the car- just that it would cost of the swap would take up a large portion of your car's value. You were talking about a $3600 powertrain- that's already over half the value of your car as it sits (kbb says $7k, which I think sounds high in the current economy, but possibly doable private party due to the low mileage if its in really great shape). We haven't even added in ANY extras yet- no fluids, no swap parts, recharging the AC, etc- so just the parts alone is over half the value of the car. If you have to have a shop do the labor, I bet you'll easily eat up another grand or two depending on the shop.

Not saying it has to cost that much, especially if you're more flexible on the powertrain and mileage.

My main point in saying this- say you dump $4k-5k into a swap with this engine, parts, a few mods, etc. Now, you car will likely still be worth the same or even a bit less to a new buyer (if you were to sell it), so you'd lose pretty much all your swap money if you were to sell it. The other thing (which I hope doesn't happen)- is what if you get in a major wreck, and it gets totaled? If you don't tell insurance about the swap- they're going to total it like a normal, stock car, and you won't recoup a dime of your swap costs- they'll all be lost. You other option is to provide receipts and insure it for the car plus the add ons, but how much is your insurance going to go up as a result?

when i would likly get a nice penny for the enging coming out int he frist place, since it too only has 50k miles, is automatic, and in FANTASTIC and has been well menatained
You absolutely will not- I can tell you that from experience for a fact. I had a 3100 and 4t60e at about 90k miles that I had owned for 60k of those miles, and my parents owned for the 30k or so before that- and the engine was very well maintained and taken care of- with the bulk of the maintenance done by me personally. The bad thing is you have no way to prove anything- you have no way to prove the previous owner didn't have a teenager that stole the keys a couple of times to go rape on it for a couple hours- and you don't even have any way to prove you took perfect care of it to a buyer. When I was looking at camaro's on craigslist- tons of buyers will lie and tell you how well maintained it was, and how their grandma drove it to church on sundays, etc- no one is going to 100% believe it, so it will have little-no effect on the value of the used parts.

I tried selling for a bit on various forums before my swap (as I needed to have someone come get it during the 2 weeks I was swapping as I wasn't about to cart it home and let it collect dust until I got a bite). I got a few low offers, but no one who would actually put any money up. The engine/trans were super common in junkyards so no one would pay for it to be shipped either. Finally put it up for free to anyone who wanted to come get it. I had a couple offers to pay shipping on parts off the engine (but for free on the parts, so I'd be doing work for nothing)- no one would even come get the thing for FREE.

Granted this is before craigslist was a big thing- but most of the people that call from there are scammers or lowballers anyways. Not saying you won't be able to sell your engine- if you've got enough time to sit on it, I'm sure you'll get a bite- but not for anywhere near the money you're thinking. 3400's and 4t65's are common as dirt in junkyards- and aren't a popular swap engine since its a base model engine.

I mean my buddy...again, tells me a swope of an engine shouldn't run me much over 1000$, in fact he even went as far as to say 500-800$ but i honestly coudln't see that kind of labor for under 800$, even 1200$ i might think
Are we talking just labor cost here? You certainly aren't going to buy an L67, 4t65HD, fluids, and any other swap parts for $500 at least not with decent mileage on it, so you can't be talking about the full swap for that money.

If you do mean just labor- call around to some local shops. Tell them you want to have them do an engine swap- the new engine is mostly a bolt in, mostly plug and play- and ask for a ballpark. Obviously they'd want to look into it much more- but IF you find shops that would touch it- I guarantee they're gonna want more than $500 in labor. As was said above, most shops charge $60-100/hour in labor- and a shop that hasn't done the swap before sure isn't going to pull it off in 5 hours.

, but thinking about that in practical terms, with the sale of a good shape, automatic, engine with good gas econemy, i'd probobly sell it for more than a equivilent SC engine.
lol, just what I thought- there is no way you'd get $3600 for your engine/trans- its just that simple. KBB on late 90's grand prix's are getting into that price range with the more desirable 3800- and we're talking a whole, running car here (granted with higher mileage, 125-175k miles).

Honestly, if you could even get $1k out of your whole powertrain- I'd take it in a heart beat, especially in this economy.

Old 05-24-2011, 08:43 PM

true story^^^^^. dude sell that thing and get a l67 car.