Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Stutter/Putting Accelerating Wet/Cold

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 09:55 PM
Default Stutter/Putting Accelerating Wet/Cold

Today first time Ive noticed this and it is also coldest temp 61F that ive driven it since getting car Back in May 2012.

Cold start, let it run about 3 mins and took off, and i could feel as i accelerated at a steady speed car would putt along. Last time i felt this was in my other car, and it was the O2 sensor when car warmed up.

This problem seems to happen when its either cold or wet. My guess is plugs and wires are getting worn down and not getting good enough spark to the plugs when its humid.

Any ideas, no CEL on at all.

05 MC LS

Old 08-09-2012, 09:59 PM

I should note, its very small feeling, but if im accelerating faster above 2500rpm it dont do it

Old 08-09-2012, 11:04 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

How many miles on the car? Hows the condition of the cat? How about the fuel pump and filter?

I would check all the wires and the coil packs.

If those all seem to be fine I would then check out the plugs to make sure they're okay and then injectors.

Old 08-09-2012, 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by trewyn15
How many miles on the car? Hows the condition of the cat? How about the fuel pump and filter?

I would check all the wires and the coil packs.

If those all seem to be fine I would then check out the plugs to make sure they're okay and then injectors.
Car has 97k Miles on it.

Last time i checked on the the exhaust was when it was hoisted up getting rubber hangers put on. Car runs quite and havent noticed any eggsmell indicating clogged converter.

Fuel pump/Filter not sure on that.

Car is needing a tune up im sure, which will be what i do next when installing new hub bearing. When i got car, i wanted to do tune up, but been extremly busy. Ill be replacing with the ACdelco plugs n wires soon. Tomorrow is supposed to be fairly cool again with rain.

Once car was warm stutter was completely gone, and you have to be driving smoothly to feel it

Old 08-09-2012, 11:14 PM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by Carlo8686
Car has 97k Miles on it.

Last time i checked on the the exhaust was when it was hoisted up getting rubber hangers put on. Car runs quite and havent noticed any eggsmell indicating clogged converter.

Fuel pump/Filter not sure on that.

Car is needing a tune up im sure, which will be what i do next when installing new hub bearing. When i got car, i wanted to do tune up, but been extremly busy. Ill be replacing with the ACdelco plugs n wires soon. Tomorrow is supposed to be fairly cool again with rain.

Once car was warm stutter was completely gone, and you have to be driving smoothly to feel it
I still wouldn't be opposed to getting a pressure test done on the exhaust, the cat can go out and not smell like rotten eggs, it shouldn't cost anything at an exhaust shop.

I would do the fuel filter as part of the tune-up, the pump should be alright, but you might as well do the filter since you're doing the rest of the stuff.

It could be something as simple as a dirty air filter or dirty MAF also.

Old 08-09-2012, 11:20 PM

Im sure its something minor that im aure tune up will fix. In 3300 miles driving kever fept this till tonight.

Last place i went to get a smoke test on exhaust they wanted 89$. But ill do plugs wires and oil change soon.

How hard is fuel filter, is it simple no special tool needed. Last one i did needed a special tool to get hose off.

Old 08-09-2012, 11:23 PM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by Carlo8686
Im sure its something minor that im aure tune up will fix. In 3300 miles driving kever fept this till tonight.

Last place i went to get a smoke test on exhaust they wanted 89$. But ill do plugs wires and oil change soon.

How hard is fuel filter, is it simple no special tool needed. Last one i did needed a special tool to get hose off.
Wow, I didn't realize they charged that much, almost better of just getting it replaced, assuming it's bad lol

A fuel filter does require a special tool but I was told you could do it with a pair of pliars pretty easily on the montes.

Old 08-09-2012, 11:28 PM

Well i sont want universal cat installed. I found oem replacement one piece from manifold for 179$ shipped. Rather that then some cut and weld on which later on in michigan weather will rust the welds.

When i so tune up ill do all kinds of cleaning on injectors,filter,maf, and so on.

As it aits now im getting 350-425 miles per full tank gas

Old 08-09-2012, 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by trewyn15
A fuel filter does require a special tool but I was told you could do it with a pair of pliars pretty easily on the montes.
Yeah, it's simple enough to do with pliers - just make sure you de-pressurize the lines before you try to remove the filter.

Old 08-09-2012, 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by Mike 00LS
Yeah, it's simple enough to do with pliers - just make sure you de-pressurize the lines before you try to remove the filter.

How is that accomplished on the MC. Is there a valve stem i should look for and open it.

And when doing so will the car have a delayed start next startup since line will be empty

or would taking out the fuel pump fuse/relay and run car till its lines are empty and car stalls.

Last edited by Carlo8686; 08-09-2012 at 11:37 PM.

Quick Reply: Stutter/Putting Accelerating Wet/Cold