Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

stuck gas pedal

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 05:17 PM
Default stuck gas pedal

my gas pedal is stuck on my 05. when you press the gas down after the car starts up the throttle just sticks and the pedal wont come down. up for suggestions

Old 05-14-2009, 03:59 AM

your throttle butterfly valve gets gummed up after some time. Take your intake off and spray carb cleaner on the valve then wipe off. Your throttle should move free and clear afterwards.

Old 05-14-2009, 05:42 AM

Your mass air flow sensor is right behind your butterfly valve in your throttlebody, so be EXTREMELY careful if you're spraying anything on the throttlebody. You don't want to damage that sensor. They are not cheap to replace.
You may be better off pulling the throttlebody off and cleaning it by hand if it is gummed up (which it may be, as you end up with oil and carbon buildup from the EGR and PCV passing through the throttlebody.
Before you do that, you may want to try moving the butterfly valve by pulling on the linkage to the throttle cable in the engine bay. That way you can check to make sure that it is actually the blade on the butterfly valve sticking, and not the throttle cable getting jammed up or stuck somewhere.

What model is your car? LS, LT, SS?
How many miles?
If I understand correctly, the throttle is sticking open when you let off the gas? Or is the throttle not opening when you press on the gas pedal?

-Riggs.