Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

strangest engine swap ever?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2011, 08:04 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default strangest engine swap ever?

the other day i was helping my cousin put new axles in his 93 hatch and i told him about my transmission problems and he told me to do something that i thought was crazy. but would be pretty sweet if it was done. he said i should pull my 3.4 ans swap in a b18c5 out of a itr. lmfao, how many ppl think that would be cool?? i think it could be possible. i personally would never do it but maybe someone out there would lol

Old 04-23-2011, 08:44 PM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2011
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

The strangest engine I've seen in a 5th gen Monte was an early 90's Cadillac 4.9L V8. They come mated to a 4T60E in the Cadillac, so it can mate to one in a Monte.

Next weirdest is a Cadillac 4.6L Northstar V8 with the 4T80E swap as well. There were many problems with the swap, but I've heard that all the bugs are worked out and that Monte is corrently for sale for $3500.

Then there's a guy on here with a 7th gen that swapped an LS7 into his Monte. That thing is a beast.

These swaps are assuming that you want to stay FWD. If you wanted to stay FWD and have something crazy unique, I would swap in a Cobalt powertrain into a Monte. ZZP just had their Cobalt put down 898whp with their 4 cyl. How cool would that be with a 5 speed in a Monte?

Answer: it would be awesome.

Old 04-23-2011, 08:47 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2009
5 Year Member

yeah the only reason those tiny 4 cylinders in the 90s hondas are fast is because the cars they are in weight nothing. Putting one of those into a 3500lb car will make it an absolute dog. If you DID want to swap a 4 cylinder in, it would have to be a large displacement 4 cylinder so it would have enough torque to get the car rolling. Maybe like a 2.4 they use in the new regals and malibus.

Old 04-23-2011, 08:56 PM

yeah i knew it wouldnt have any torque lol. he thought it would be cool and it sounded strange. and it would be pretty awesome to have an 800+whp monte lol. i would probably be in jail after the first hour :P and ive seen the videos on youtube about the caddy v8s. they sound pretty good but wouldnt they be on the same level as the 3.4? i mean there isnt any room with just 6 cylinders, imagine having 8 lol.

Old 04-23-2011, 08:58 PM

"Maybe like a 2.4 they use in the new regals and malibus" you are talking about the turbo motor right? bc that would be pretty sweet too. im still gonna stick to one day swapping in a 5.3 out of a newer model ss into my 96. now THAT would be slick lol

Old 04-23-2011, 09:07 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2011

A friend (NYMCC) Member did the cadi swap into his white 5th gen, he had some kinks in it but had to sell it before he got everything worked out...as I remember he said he told the new owner what the kinks were and said to get them fixed before continuously using the car...the new buyer agreed but didn't listen...I believe the car blew up within a month...then the new owner fixed it again with some kinks and sold it again...not sure if this was the car mentioned...

The coolest Monte I saw on video was the 6th gen converted to RWD with an LS1...bad a$$ for sure...

Coolest swap ever for me was a Wily Built on the Evo platform...Sex on wheels....

Joe

Old 04-23-2011, 09:12 PM

dang. i just hate it when you hear about ppl starting these awesome builds but then wind up selling them wasnt there a member on here who was in the process of swapping an ls motor into a 6th? gen monte? i think i saw some pics on here of the exterior and interior and he had converted it to rwd. cant remember who it was tho

Old 04-23-2011, 09:12 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2009
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by bama_z34
"Maybe like a 2.4 they use in the new regals and malibus" you are talking about the turbo motor right? bc that would be pretty sweet too. im still gonna stick to one day swapping in a 5.3 out of a newer model ss into my 96. now THAT would be slick lol
The turbo motor is the 2.0. The 2.4 is the direct injected NA motor. I think it makes like 185hp or something.

Old 04-23-2011, 09:24 PM

ohh ok, i get confused sometimes bc gm is coming up with a new engine every other day lol. i know a monte engine swap that would whip the caddy swap in a heart beat. its a certain "moss green" 95 z34. its in a hot rod magazine from 1996. jon moss created a monster lol. he put a fuel injected 406 small block and 6 speed trans in it. 460 hp mmmmmmm. there was even a survey in the magazine. and if hot rod could have gotten enough back they would have sent them to chevrolet and there would have been a possibility it could have been a production car

Old 04-23-2011, 09:34 PM

here is a link to the pics and story. the date up top is wrong tho. it says feb 2009. but it was actually feb 1996. 1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo V-8 - Featured Vehicles - Hot Rod Magazine

Quick Reply: strangest engine swap ever?