Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

strange noise (like a chicken)

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2009 | 12:44 AM
|
Default strange noise (like a chicken)

ok, i just bought my 2000 monte carlo a few months ago and am starting to get it all fixed up. here in the past month or so it has started to make a really loud and annoying noise whenever im not accelerating, and rarely even when i am. it kina sounds like a chicken clucking and is def coming from the passenger side under the hood. it kinda sounds like a belt, i repaced the sepentine belt and tensioner but that didnt work. ive taken it to 3 machanics and the dealers repair shop and no one has any clue what it could be. ive heard the engine, the altinator, the transmission, but none of them show any signs of problems in the cars performance, so im gussing they just wanted a pricey repair for me to pay for. if anyone else has noticed or heard of a problem like this please let me know, its such a great car but its so loud and embarrasing i dont wanna drive it. thanks.

Old 04-29-2009 | 09:06 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
15 Year Member

are you using the A/C or heater while it's happening?

Old 04-29-2009 | 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by harbringer314
ok, i just bought my 2000 monte carlo a few months ago and am starting to get it all fixed up. here in the past month or so it has started to make a really loud and annoying noise whenever im not accelerating, and rarely even when i am. it kina sounds like a chicken clucking and is def coming from the passenger side under the hood. it kinda sounds like a belt, i repaced the sepentine belt and tensioner but that didnt work. ive taken it to 3 machanics and the dealers repair shop and no one has any clue what it could be. ive heard the engine, the altinator, the transmission, but none of them show any signs of problems in the cars performance, so im gussing they just wanted a pricey repair for me to pay for. if anyone else has noticed or heard of a problem like this please let me know, its such a great car but its so loud and embarrasing i dont wanna drive it. thanks.

Welcome Member: HarBringer to the MCF Family

Have you opened your hood when it is @ idle & making
the Chicken Sounds ?

A bad air compressor can make weird sounds
Do U have a recorder device to record the sound & post ?
Have you been driv'in down any farm roads ? lol

Check back & see what our Member's think & suggest.
I know it can be very frustating
2 be unable to find weird sounds coming from the engine bay.
Were the mechanic's that checked it certified ?
Good Luck

Last edited by Space; 04-29-2009 at 09:21 AM.
Old 04-29-2009 | 09:07 PM
5 Year Member

maybe it's a bare brake caliper grinding against a severly warped rotor. that can make some pretty interesting sounds

Old 04-30-2009 | 02:03 AM
|

ok, so first off the chickens made me lmfao, so thanks for that lol. and yea i have been driving down farm roads, its all thats out here lol. thanks for all the suggestions. ill check all the things u guys mentioned and try to post the sound over the weekend. great to be a part of the mcf family

Old 04-30-2009 | 04:39 AM

ok, so first off the chickens made me lmfao, so thanks for that lol. and yea i have been driving down farm roads, its all thats out here lol. thanks for all the suggestions. ill check all the things u guys mentioned and try to post the sound over the weekend. great to be a part of the mcf family

Please keep `us updated `if & when you
find the Chicken `Sound

It's not me, I promise, but it's sure `hot
in your engine bay....LOL
U would scream 2 if you where bak'in in there
It's called
"Monte Carlo Baked Chicken"
1. Get Chicken
2. Tie 2 Header
3. Drive 60 Minutes
4. ReMove & Enjoy your picnic : )

Chicken Flasher
lol
If all fails, I guess U R go'in 2 have 2

LOL ~ LOL

Old 05-02-2009 | 03:55 AM
|

ok it isnt the brake caliper or air compressor. no im not running the ac or heat it just does it all the damn time (except usually when i excelerate) yes all of the mechanics were certified and for some reason my stupid computer wont read the recording i made of the noise, sigh. well at least i have a new chicken recipie lmao, thanx for that. im a gormet chef and i can just see peoples faces now lmao, priceless. ill keep everyone posted as i shred it apart to figure out what it is, hope i can get it back together lol. later, thanx for your suggestions

Old 05-02-2009 | 03:57 AM
|

Hmmmm, could it be my wheel bearings? they do need replaced.

Old 05-02-2009 | 06:56 AM

Hmmmm, could it be my wheel bearings? they do need replaced.

I sure think it would be worth check'in 4 Sure +
Front Brake component's/Alt/water pump/& any
part that moves & can make the
"Chicken Sounds"
Good Luck

p.s. You have a very interesting profession being a
Gormet Chef...What's your favorite meal
to prepare.
Thanks also 4 your sense of humor...
It's so much better 2 laugh , then 2 `cry

Old 05-02-2009 | 05:39 PM

wheel bearings should b makin no noise at idle...and should b makin noise when u accelerate. is it possible its happening while u accelerate and u jsut cant hear it? that recording would help alot.

Quick Reply: strange noise (like a chicken)