Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Strange Leak, '98 MC 3.1

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 12:38 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Strange Leak, '98 MC 3.1

I have a '98 MC w/ 3.1 V6. We have been running A/C alot lately & it's normal to see a large puddle of water under the passenger side of the car. Lately I have noticed this water not evaporating off the drive like normal. Cleaned the evaporator drain tube & that seemed ok. Check Trans fluid & seem to be at correct level alway - Engine oil as well.
The water on drive has an oily feel to it & no apparent odor. It will evaporate over a 3-4 hour period -which makes me think "Dexcool" or anti freeze.
I've checked coolant level & it's normal. This leaking stuff seems to coagulate on drive - under where the crank is. Lifted hood several times right after driving to see if there is any vapor or leakage. What drops on drive is cool to the touch.
The engine does leak oil at front seal slightly - & I wonder if water from A/C and running some of oil off as well.

Any Ideas .... ??

Thanks,
Mark.

Old 07-13-2010, 12:56 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2016
10 Year Member

i had noticed on my 00mystique i know compleatly diff type car but that the A/C lines actualy would get condensation on them it may be that going down your block or somthing and taking dirt/oil residue with it

Old 07-13-2010, 01:46 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2012
Monte Of The Month -- December 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Check the underside of your hood. If it's wet above the serpentine belt, then you may have a bad water pump.

Old 07-13-2010, 02:32 PM
Default Leak...

That's just it - there's nothing sprayed on the inside of hood or engine compartment. It's real clean! ???

Old 07-20-2010, 02:04 PM

Replaced Thermostat, Topped off Dexcool to cold level, bled out air with screws.
Noticed w/o air on I never get this leak. When Air is run then it takes a while for it to leak on the drive. Placed a white towel under car expecting "Orange Dexcool" to be found after running a while w/air on. Noting Orange leaked on it - just a merky looking
water w/no odor.
I'm stumped!

Old 07-20-2010, 02:10 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member

Sounds to me like its the water from the A/C running, and its just picking up some crap on its way down...

Old 07-20-2010, 02:16 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2008

Sometimes my A/C condensation has an oily feel to me. It is probably a tiny freon leak of some sort. Have you checked your freon pressures?

Old 07-20-2010, 03:47 PM

I have thought maybe water coming from A/C drain tube could be running down & picking up stuff on the way to the payment. It's not Dexcool!
& No I haven't checked Freon pressure as A/C blows really cool! Good Idea though!
Will have to check that out.
I hope its not a Head gasket leak. There is no vapor or leakage on motor. Very Clean.
Dexcool & Oil looks to be good & not mixing...

Old 07-20-2010, 03:50 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2008

Originally Posted by MarkIV396
I have thought maybe water coming from A/C drain tube could be running down & picking up stuff on the way to the payment. It's not Dexcool!
& No I haven't checked Freon pressure as A/C blows really cool! Good Idea though!
Will have to check that out.
I hope its not a Head gasket leak. There is no vapor or leakage on motor. Very Clean.
Dexcool & Oil looks to be good & not mixing...
Once again, I am old school. I just rub my finger on the puddle, taste the leakage, compare the taste to what I know, and bingo, problem solved.

Old 07-20-2010, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by SolaraSlayer
Once again, I am old school. I just rub my finger on the puddle, taste the leakage, compare the taste to what I know, and bingo, problem solved.
mhmmm now thats how u do it! lol

Quick Reply: Strange Leak, '98 MC 3.1