Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

starting problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 04:13 AM
Default starting problems

hello there everyone, well heres my story, i have an 87 monte carlo ls with a 350 out of a 90 jimmy, its got brand new 305 heads, hooker headers, holly 750 carb, msd ignition with msd wires n distributor, edelebrock intake. heres my problems, it wont start, all the wires are run right, plug wires, starter wires, it cranks n almost starts but doesnt, it gets even closer wen i pour gas in the carb but still nothing. does anyone have any ideas, suggestions, anything that might help me out? thanks in advance for the help!

Old 06-10-2010, 04:23 AM

Hi 87 `Monte,
Sounds like it could've jumped time ? Is your distributor getting `spark power ?
Did you take off a plug wire to see if they are throwing current ? How many miles on your 350 ? Does it have the original timing chain ? Did it run good b-4 this happened ? Or is this a problem since install ?

How old is your starter ? Is it tight ?

Please post as much information you can about your problems & what mod's have been performed ?

Check back on your thread to see what our Expert Tech Member's will post on your Problem....Good Luck

No 12v present at Coil+One common question in regards to MSD Ignition controls is “Why isn’t 12V power on the orange (COIL +) wire?”
The main reason 12V won’t be present at coil + is because your MSD ignition is a Capacitive Discharge Ignition...
Non-Magnetic Pick-up Resistance ValuesNon Magnetic Pick up Resistance Values Part Number Description Syteline Description Resistance (ohms) 8153 Compact Non Magnetic Pick up Shielded Crank Trigger Pickup, 22" 110 130
Timing Fluctuations Timing Fluctuations If your timing seems to be jumping all over the place, check the following items What kind of timing light are you using? Many lights have trouble reading the MSD's capacitive discharge multiple sparks. Dial back timing lights
Magnetic Pickup in the DistributorMagnetic Pickup in the Distributor The magnetic pickup in MSD Distributors can also be checked with an Ohm meter to make sure it is within operating specifications. Once again, connect the Ohm meter's leads to the two terminals of the
Spark Plug WiresSpark Plug Wires If you suspect a spark plug wire to be open causing poor performance, check the resistance of each wire. By checking the resistance of each wire you will determine two things That there is continuity (not open)
Tachometer Operation Tachometer Operation If your tachometer doesn't read correctly after installing an MSD, you may need a Tach Adapter. On GM vehicles, first remove the tach filter. There are two MSD Tach Adapters. Contact MSD Tech with the manufacturer of your
Import VehiclesImport Vehicles If your fuel injected import vehicle fails to start or the tachometer reads erratically, you will need an MSD Tach Adapter PN 8910. If the PN 8910 is installed and you have spark but the vehicle will still
Engine Run On Engine Run-On If your engine continues to run even when the ignition is turned Off you are experiencing engine Run-On. This usually only occurs on older vehicles with an external voltage regulator. Because the MSD receives power directly from the battery, it does not require much current to keep the unit energ
Checking The MSD Ignition For SparkChecking The MSD Ignition For Spark The following test will determine if your MSD is producing a spark. (image) White Wire Trigger If you are using the White wire (points or electronic amplifier) of the MSD to trigger the ignition,

Last edited by Space; 06-10-2010 at 04:28 AM.
Old 06-10-2010, 04:33 AM

theres like 100xxx miles on it, ya its got a distributor, ya its got the original timing chain, the motor ran really good before it was pulled, ya the starter is tight n is only like a year old, ya the truck that the motor was in ran like a champ before it was pulled, never burned oil nothing like that, the block code is 14010207 if that helps any

Old 06-10-2010, 04:51 AM

Do you have a timing light ? or someone that can check or reset the timing?
Check to see if it's getting spark/power ?
Check fuel delivery.....

Check back later to see if any other member can assist in your problem...Good Luck

Old 06-12-2010, 09:01 AM

if the starter is no0t gettin a good connection be a reason its not starting?

Old 06-12-2010, 12:12 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

a couple or questions and sugestions, do you prime the car befor trying to start? ( push the gas down 4-5 times,) is your choke workin? did you get a vac advance dist since it sounds like you arnt running the computer?d loosening the dist and having a friend crank it over while you turn the dist left and right your timing may be off,

Old 06-14-2010, 10:59 PM

ya i prime the carb n nothing happens, i think there is a clog in my gas line because i have a fuel filter in the line, well here how it is there is the 3/8 rubber line comin from my tank, the filter then the rest of the line that heads to my motor, so i tkae the part of the line off that heads to my tank n nothing comes out n theres bout 3/4 tank of gas in it now so im thinkin theres a clog n well gettin back to wat u were sayin bout turnin the dist while someones crankin it, ya ive dun that n it almost starts but just wont????? i think my dist 180d out but iono, any suggestions on what i can do?

Old 06-15-2010, 01:02 AM
10 Year Member

nothing would come out unless A: you installed an electric fuel pump or B: some one is cranking it iver becuase if you didn't put in a electric pump it's mechanical and requires the motor to be turned over
if you think it's 180* off un bolt it pull it out spin the shaft 180* and put it back in, and try the keeping it loose and spining the base left and right again,

and another note beign a 90's block it may not have the manual pump you may need to get an ekectric if thats the case, but if it has one the line comming from the tank should go from in the frame to the pump which is on the left(if standing at the front of the car looking under the hood) then from there to the carb

was the motor originally TBI or EFI?

Old 06-15-2010, 04:50 AM

it was tbi, i removed everything, brought it down to block and heads, changed the heads to work with my aluminum intake so now its carb, n yes i do have an electric fuel pump, like i said i believe there is a clog in my gas line because wen i hook everything up n let the fuel pump run, nothing comes out of it, u hear it pullin n pumpin but nothing comes out the lines, i plan to work on it taday so ill post back ina few hours n let u guys kno wat happens

Old 06-15-2010, 10:42 AM
10 Year Member

make sure it is plumbed and wired corectly your flow may be reversed,