Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Starting problem and VATS?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 11:14 AM
Default Starting problem and VATS?

I bought a 95 Monte Carlo (3.1) recently.
I'm trying to figure out what is going on with the security light staying on all the time and if it's related to the following problem:.
About once every few days when I turn the key to try and start it doesn't turn over. When this happens usually just by releasing and turning the key again will it start and other times after a second or 2 it will start while the key is still in the start position.

The previous owner had the starter change not too long ago.

Do you think it has anything to do with VATS reader or with security light staying on all the time is the VATS reader even working?

Old 05-06-2008, 11:18 AM
Default RE: Starting problem and VATS?

hmm well i actually doubt it has to do anything with vats...i would say that something is wrong with the starter or how it was hooked up...do u know y the starter was replaced initially?

Old 05-06-2008, 12:59 PM

So since the security light is on at all times the VATS reader is not working and I can eliminate that as a possibility?

Old 05-06-2008, 01:19 PM

Hi Scott, and Welcome to the MCF.
Sorry to read that you are having problems with your recent purchase
[:-]
Your ignition lock could be bad. (They take a beating)
I haveread about many problems with the connections at the ignition switch. The terminals get very loose and can cause your Monte to start sometimes, and then not start the next time. A short, or lose wire canset `off security light.I suggest checking ignition lock cylinder as one of your possible problems.

Hope this helps, Good Luck,
from `Space

Old 05-06-2008, 01:22 PM

nope. I had the same problem like a week ago. It is the passkey system. Try switching keys if you have a spair key, or try taking brake clean and wiping down the chip in the key and run it in and out of the ignition a few times. See if that works. A starter would have little ornothing to do with the security light.

Old 05-06-2008, 03:49 PM

I think the big question here is what's causing the security light to stay on at all times, when the car starts, when it doesn't want to start and while the car is running. The car not wanting to start is an intermediate problem whereas the security light is a constant problem.

Old 05-06-2008, 06:09 PM

ORIGINAL: sws2000

I think the big question here is what's causing the security light to stay on at all times, when the car starts, when it doesn't want to start and while the car is running. The car not wanting to start is an intermediate problem whereas the security light is a constant problem.
Do what I said and see if that takes care of it. I had the SAME problem a week or two ago. I cleaned the key and passkey chip with brake clean and then ran it in and out of the ignition cylinder a few times. It took care of the problem.

Old 05-09-2008, 03:21 PM

I think my backup lights not working may provide a clue on what's going on here. It also may explain why my remote trunk release is not working. Perhaps the Park/Netural switch on the transmission?

Old 05-09-2008, 05:16 PM

Brake interlock switch or your neutral safety switch...check your fuses also....Ummm....I think you have multiple issues here though. I still think that either your key is dirty or your chip is starting to go bad or it just needs to be cleaned....Hmm....keep us updated. But I don't think that the security light is related to your new issue.

Old 04-24-2009, 11:27 PM

hey guys..... ive got a 96 monte... does anybody know where the tdm is ? (the vats module?... thanks