Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/engine-transmission-performance-adders-12/)
-   -   Starting to Mod my monte. (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/engine-transmission-performance-adders-12/starting-mod-my-monte-14351/)

bumpin96monte 07-11-2009 09:04 PM

Personally, if you're just trying to do a basic top swap, see if he'll sell you a L67 MAF too, or pick one up used off the forums.

If you get a bigger 85mm external MAF like the LS2, LS6, etc- you need:
A) a blockoff plate for the stock MAF hole (cut it yourself out of aluminum sheet, or ZZP sells one precut)
B) have your pcm tune reflashed for running an 85mm MAF (since the MAF table will obviously be different

Only reason I went with the LS2 MAF was because I needed something ASAP (couldn't find any cheap on clubgp local)- and Autozone wanted like $150+ core; so I just stole it off the monte for the GP and did a quick reflash of the tune.

sprfrk2005 07-11-2009 09:23 PM

ahhh ok sounds good....... so i shall just go jack one from a local junk yard haha..... so bumpin what else would be ideal to get for this top swap with a 6th gen. monte..... i know i will need seals and bolts can those be found locally in auto stores or they have to be from dealership?

bumpin96monte 07-13-2009 02:06 PM

Parts store gaskets are generally just fine.

sprfrk2005 07-14-2009 01:08 PM

ok bumpin and/or 03Monte can either of you guys provide a list for me of the Gaskets that will be needed on this top swap that would be a great big help.... ordering my kit tomorrow and just wanna know what gaskets would be the ones that i will need to complet the swap... thanks

biggriggs 07-14-2009 01:25 PM

You will need:
-head gaskets (oem ones are supposedly as good as any other),
-lower intake manifold gaskets (get the new GM aluminum ones instead of the older plastic gaskets),
-a supercharger gasket (oem is fine),
-yellow o-rings for the coolant passages between the lim/sc,
-throttlebody gasket (i got a felpro one from advance last time i removed the tb, and that gasket was fine).

You may also need (or want):
-Injector o-rings (depending on mileage/age...don't want gasoline leaking on your new setup)
-Exhaust manifold gaskets
The gaskets for your exhaust manifolds should be reuseable, but if you have any inclination to change them (or if they're really old), then pick up a set of the Felpro exhaust gaskets. They're much better than the stock ones imho, and they were $7.50 for the pair at advance auto.

Also, both the bolts for the heads and for the rockers are torque to yield. They will both need to be replaced (if the heads are complete and assembled, then you don't need new rocker bolts). You can get new torque to yield bolts from the dealer or online (gmparts direct, or any of the w-body vendors sell them). You can also switch to reusable rocker bolts from one of the vendors, and ARP sells head studs as an alternative to tty bolts as well.

I probably missed something, so somebody can fill in what i forgot

Best of luck,
-Riggs.

ChibiBlackSheep 07-14-2009 01:26 PM

grabbing a parts list from a site like Milzy Motorsports should give you what you need.

Kit Includes:

L67 Parts:
-Gen III Eaton M90 Supercharger w/ throttle body, free of rotor damage or coupler play
-lower intake manifold
-cylinder heads
-fuel rail w/ injectors
-valvecovers front and rear
-harmonic balancer
-idler pullies, brackets, tensioner, etc for supercharger belt system
-coil pack bracket w/ Ignition Control Module (if vehicle requires this for top swap)
-MAP sensor and bracket
-Engine Cover

NEW AC Delco Parts and Gaskets:
-vacuum harness
-supercharger gasket
-supercharger o-rings
-lower intake gaskets
-headgaskets
-headbolts
-valvecover gaskets
-rocker bolts
-exhaust manifold gaskets
-crank bolt
-reluctor wheel (to use factory 3.29 gears)

Other Parts:
-PCM calibrated for the top swap
-3/8's and 5/16's fuel lines, clamps, and quick disconnect fittings
-swap harness to convert Non-supercharged 3800 harness to supercharged (MAP extension, boost bypass pigtail)

sprfrk2005 07-15-2009 05:44 PM

So i got a question what kinda of spark plugs should i get for my car since im doing to top swap is someone can give me a maker and model of the plugs that would be great

ChibiBlackSheep 07-16-2009 08:52 AM

Autolite copper 605?

It's a step cooler than stock, since you aren't going that far with the top swap...?

I think... haha