Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Spark Plugs for a turbo set up?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 11:40 AM
5 Year Member
Default Spark Plugs for a turbo set up?

Hey fellas, I was wondering if anyone would know what kind of spark plugs to run on a turbo set up? I know that the colder the better and to stick with copper plugs, but I'm not quite sure which type to get. Would anyone have a suggestion?

Old 11-24-2009, 01:02 PM

Depending on how much boost you run, either AL104s or AL103s would work for you.

Old 11-24-2009, 05:22 PM
5 Year Member

Thanks! I'm going to follow the Cartuning baseline boost for the kit (for the 3.8L), whatever it happens to be and go from there. I've been looking for this info for weeks now, lol, and no luck. I even searched this forum, and clubgp, to no avail. I guess the colder the better with the higher boost?, with the AL104sbeing the coldest?

Old 11-24-2009, 06:54 PM

AL103s are one heat range colder than AL104s.

I'd try the 104s first- the 103s will be "safer", but will also cause harder starts and more carbon build up in your cylinders. They'll also foul more quickly.

Old 11-24-2009, 07:26 PM

I guess the colder the better with the higher boost?,
No, there are replacement plugs, 4, 5, even 6 heat ranges colder than stock- but you don't want to go way colder. What you want to do is match the heat range of your plugs to your engine setup. I agree with 104's working, 103's are a heat range colder- but tend to be for the higher power setups.

Old 11-30-2009, 05:42 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Personally, I would e-mail or call "Turbo" Tim at ZZPerformance and ask him. They are big into turbos, also. I am running NGK TR6-IX Iridium plugs. They have lasted for several years now, and something like 80,000 miles. Try that with copper plugs! If you are primarily running at the track, like silverbullit, I'd probably stick to copper. As a D'D', I prefer the longevity of Iridium.

Tim has tried everytime I have been there to get me to ADD a turbo to my L67. Double boost! HHHMMMMMMM!

Old 11-30-2009, 09:22 AM
5 Year Member

This car is my DD and won't see any track time. The kit I'm using is a used kit so it comes without the plugs and I haven't been able to reach Kevin @ Cartuning regarding the plug's range. I'll give ZZP a ring and see what they have to say. Thanks to all for your advice and I'll be taking it into consideration as well, needless to say. I'm not going for all out power 'cause the trans isn't going to take it. I'll be upgrading it during the spring/summer with all the reinforced goodies, but till then I'm just going to chill with the car and take it easy with it.

DO the copper plugs need more maintenance than iridium? I know the iridium plugs CAN go quite a while without replacing, but are they better at conducing?

Old 12-01-2009, 08:43 PM

DO the copper plugs need more maintenance than iridium?
Copper plugs need replacing much more frequently than any of the other spark plugs (but they're also like $1 each, compared to $5+ for other kinds). I know some L67 people who change their plugs at every oil change. Thats pretty overkill IMO, but every 2-3 oil changes wouldn't be a bad idea.

Old 12-01-2009, 09:03 PM
5 Year Member

$1 a plug sounds like a heck of a deal compared to $5. I'll stick with the copper plugs and replace them every 2-3 oil changes, as you suggested. I'll be installing the kit during January/February, or whenever my pains allow me to, lol, and will take pics of the install. That should make for a good write-up.

Old 12-05-2009, 11:22 AM

I've got the cartuning kit installed on my 03 monte ss. The spark plugs that were supposed to come with the kit did not as well as other parts of the order. I got 2 range colder plugs from GM.

Quick Reply: Spark Plugs for a turbo set up?