Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Spark Plugs

Old 05-07-2007, 11:24 PM
Default Spark Plugs

Hey guys, one thing I know nothing about is spark plugs. The ones on my 2001 LS im assuming are still stock. I saw on Milzy Motorsports and PFYC.COM they are a cheap MOD. What should I go with?

Old 05-07-2007, 11:54 PM
Default RE: Spark Plugs

everythign one i have heard and what i have seen in the montes is use the Iridium plugs from N.G.K.

But there are also othe rbrands out there if ya do some checking on it also.

But last i checked on them it was 10.00 a plug

Old 05-07-2007, 11:55 PM

Anything that is Iridium or Platinum tipped. The harder metal will last much longer and perform better with a hotter spark. THe only think I would think could possibly be any better are the Splitfire Platinums which are like 15 bux each, very pricey, but pretty good performance. Seriously though, many Monte's came with platinum tipped plugs anyways, which are supposed to be good till 100k miles.. if you're over that inspect them, they might go even longer, or if you want replace em. But you probably won't see much of an increase just by swappin plugs.

I'd go full tune up. Plugs, Plug wires, and O2 sensors, If they've never been replaced it would do you good to replace them. Just make sure to disconnect the battery for a good hour. you might lose radio presets, but that way the car will re-learn how to run with the new O2 sensors which should help a bunch.

Old 05-08-2007, 12:12 AM

Stick with NKG's. Autolite's are popular with the modded supercharger crowd as well. Being an LS we don't need to discuss it.

AC Delco stocks are also right on top. They were picked specifically for the engine to burn the most fuel and at a decent price.

Old 05-08-2007, 12:33 AM

Ive also read on the site that a couple spark plugs are a bitch to get to. Is this the same on the 3400, and if so could i just follow the old posts to do the job? By the way, thanks for the beginning info.

Old 05-08-2007, 10:39 AM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member

NGK all the way ....ngk is making most of the other plugs out there right now, i've actually got a few ac-delco plugs(actually the ones that are for our cars) say ngk right on them(stamped in)

platnum # is 3403
iridium's are # 7164

i sell the iridium's for 10.50 ea so i would assume you should be able to buy them for @ the most like 8 ea in the states

Old 05-08-2007, 09:31 PM

i was thinking the NGK was pretty big but never relised they were the giant in the plug industry.

Do you have a list of thier companies?

Old 05-09-2007, 07:27 AM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member

i know they do plugs, wires, and o2 sensors, they're getting into the electronics soon like caps, rotors, coils and stuff like that in the next couple years

when i get a chance i will post a pic of the ac delco plug that says ngk on it

Old 05-09-2007, 02:23 PM

what about ac delco??

Old 05-10-2007, 12:33 AM

ORIGINAL: derrel96ls

what about ac delco??
AC Delco makes a great plug for the Monte. This falls in for 2 reasons.

1. It is simply a solid, reliable and low cost plug. That's the reason GM uses them.

2. Actually ties back into 1, it is low cost, you aren't paying 10-15 bucks a plug.

The NKG's are a higher performing plug, but they sacrifice cost (more expensive) and reliability (they wear out more quickly).

This is the same as the MSD coil paks - Higher performance, but they can't keep up with the strain the stock coil packs can in the long run.

In either case, it DOES NOT make them inferior products, they are just designed for different purposes. Basically unless you are going ***** out for 11's, there's no reason to goto MSD's and plugs are up to you. You probably won't see a performance increase, but you will avoid misfires at the expense of changing the plugs more often.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Spark Plugs