Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Something got sucked into the motor...

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 09:59 AM
Default Something got sucked into the motor...

Well, here is one where you just smack yourself in the forehead for being such an idiot. I was over at my buddies who wants to do the whole airbrush thing. He hasn't airbrushed a car before so I thought I would start small. I figured I would have him do a Taz around the headlight so that when I pull the headlight for racing the hole would work into the picture. So we pull the headlight and he starts his "designing". So Frank says he hadn't ridden in the car before so I figured I owed it to him to take him for a ride. Franks a cool guy, did two tours in Iraq...he's totally into airsoft guns, and we actually when plinking bears with airsoft. I know it sounds stupid, but it was fun at the time, and Frank is such a good shot, he probably could have taken the bears eyes out with his airsoft(don't worry, he had a real sidearm just in case). Frank is the guy to have at your side when the you know what hits the fan. I could tell you some great stories...damn...there I went again...back on topic. Anyway, I took him for a ride and he about soiled his pants when he heard it. He said he could actually hear the intake over the exhaust. I told him no, he heard the blower over the exhaust...but what do I know I can't really hear either.

So after argueing for about 30 mintues, he bets me that if I take the filter off and run open intake, it won't whine. The wager was the Taz would be free for me if I was right, and a case of his favorite brew if he was right. So we pop the cone filter off the intake and take it for a spin. he lives out in the sticks, so I really wasn't worried about running without the cone and no headlight. Anyway...So on the way back , my car started making this terrible noise under the hood. It would mainly do it when going part throttle. It sounded like pins in a tin can or something. I went full throttle a few times, and it pretty much went away. The last time I went full throttle, it made this like banging noise and my car lost a little power but not all of it. Now, it's not making the original noise (which is good), but it's making this clanging noise or something that gets worse with RPMs.

Any ideas? I'm thinking that I might have sucked a critter(prolly a lizard) or something into the engine since I've been running with no air filter and the one headlight removed, but I'm not sure. How could I get the critter pieces out of the engine if this is case? Wouldn't they just burn up?

TIA,
Greg

Old 11-24-2009, 10:11 AM

How u get a lizard in ur headlight? My sister once ran over a dog. She cried lol.

Man this forum is slow lol.

Old 11-24-2009, 10:23 AM

Down here in FL...lizards are everywhere, that and tree frogs. I swear, this is a true story...my girl went to use the toilet in the house, and before she sat down she saw a huge tree frog in there. I didn't put it there, and the only way I could think is that it came up the septic. We flushed him, there was no way I was gonna fish him out.

I've never run over a dog..but I have hit some of those black racer snakes...too bad too, I like snakes.

Old 11-24-2009, 11:37 AM

W
t
f

Old 11-24-2009, 11:48 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

You might wanna just run some water through it to make sure that dead lizard gets all out...

Old 11-24-2009, 11:52 AM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- August 2009

What if it's still alive?!?! I'm calling PETA.

If it is you could try to smoke it out? IDK.

Old 11-24-2009, 12:22 PM

15 Year Member

I was just trying to save him some money...

X_X

Old 11-24-2009, 12:24 PM

It sounded like pins in a tin can or something.
Remember when I mentioned that your engine was close to blowing up? Yeah...that sound was detonation, and it sounds like you chunked a piston or otherwise destroyed your bottom end. I seriously doubt it was anything you sucked into the engine, though I have to admit that running around on the street with a pulled headlight and pulled airfilter...argh

I'd start with a compression test on your engine and report back with the results- I'd wager that you'll find one or two cylinders with much lower compression than the others.

Old 11-24-2009, 12:29 PM

15 Year Member

10 bucks on the thread being a poor joke attempt.

Old 11-24-2009, 12:35 PM

I hope I didn't chunk a piston...and no, I'm not going to run water through it. lol Frank might be messing with me...He likes to mess with me and says I's as deaf as a bat. I am just relaying the noises Frank said he heard. I'm going to have one of my coworkers go out for a spin with me and tell me if she hears the noise. I drove it again, and it doesn't feel any slower.

Quick Reply: Something got sucked into the motor...