Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So, I took the plunge

  #1  
Old 03-08-2016, 11:42 AM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Lombard, IL
Posts: 100
Default So, I took the plunge

And replaced my tranny solenoids. I was getting an intermittent hard shifting and it was driving my crazy, along with putting stress on the trans.


What a job, had to replace the driver's tie rod end. Had to cut it off, couldn't get the nut off and stripped the end of the shaft. The problem with this job is it takes 4 hours to disassemble and 10 minutes to change the solenoids. Then another 3 hors to put it back together. It took me 2 days over a weekend in my garage.


Chevy, what were you thinking on this? They easily could have installed a plastic inner shield in the wheel well so you don't have to drop the cradle.


What a PITA!


Tranny runs like new now though and I saved myself about $800.
 
  #2  
Old 03-08-2016, 08:38 PM
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Northwest Ohio
Posts: 740
Default

What did you use as reference of how to perform this job..... Service manual? A how-to write-up guideon this forum? YouTube? Other?
 
  #3  
Old 03-09-2016, 08:56 AM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Lombard, IL
Posts: 100
Default

I searched around looking for info and found a pretty good 3 part video on youtube by a guy working on an Impala with the same tranny.




I have some experience doing this type of job as I did the same thing on my old 92 Z24, only on that car I didn't have to drop the engine cradle to access the tranny side cover, or remove the drive axle.


Once I got everything taken apart and got the tranny side cover off, it's an easy job to replace the solenoids.


One thing I did that was not explained in the videos, was I disconnected my exhaust at the downpipe and resonator to allow the engine to drop easier.


One of the hard parts was while finishing up and jacking the cradle back up into place, was getting it to line back up with the bolt holes in the frame. Took some "friendly persuasion" to get it back in place. Took it to a tire shop and got an alignment done also, as you might not get it back to factory position and I had to replace the tie rod end.
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.