Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

single turbo

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2006, 04:06 PM
Default single turbo

I'm deffinetly debating as to whether or not put on a turbo. I like the idea of a single turbo on a V6, spool up would be nice and fast. The question I have, has anyone done this, and if not, can the DOHC 3.4 take the boost well without changing internals? It's between this or just swapping the engine with a supercharged 3.8 and working my way up from there, which may be, overall, an easier path to take, but that's also why I'm asking about turboing the engine in there, because I don't know how much I would have to get into it to make that worthwhile.

Old 07-15-2006, 06:08 PM
Default RE: single turbo

From what I have read, the intake must be custom built to turbo the 3.4. I would guess if you ran low boost it would be okay stock. I would go for the s/c 3.8 because it makes some nice torque compared to the turbo which would only give you higher HP. It is also a proven engineIf you did decide to go with the s/c 3.8, remember to get the stronger tranny to go with it.

Old 07-15-2006, 06:24 PM

If you had the 3800, I would say go for the turbo since they make a complete kit for it. In your case I would go for the swap. Don't forget to get the trans and wire harness too.

Old 07-15-2006, 06:48 PM

i would swap for a na 3800 them go turbo because i dont like the superchargers that the 3800 come with stock

Old 07-19-2006, 02:06 PM

Sounds like it may be a bit of a challenge to turbo that engine and run good numbers.... I may have to do just that, lol. If I go for it, I will gladly post a tech guide to the process, along with dyno results (I would only do it because I love a challenge). Until next summer though, the debate will continue for me.

Old 07-26-2006, 03:06 PM

not sure where you heard the info about changing the intake, but thats not true. there is a guy making 325HP to the ground with a 95 DOHC. he is currently working on a 96 platform to do an engine swap to run OBD2. the major problem in turboing our beloved DOHC is the trany. without a good amount of expensive work the trany just wont hold. the best bang for buck would be an engine swap to the L67 3800SC. the L67 has a HD trany stock. if you swap a NA 3800 like they are telling you it will not have the HD trany. but its trany is still stronger then the one you have.

if you have any skill with a dremal, i would suggest heading to my cardomain website http://www.cardomain.com/ride/473859 and reading about P&P your TB and intake manifolds. your 95 engine is much more common at junk yards and you can find cores to start your project. it will give you more power in the mean time... and if you do a turbo it will help again.

Old 08-03-2006, 07:20 PM

that's something else I was planning on as well, I just figured it would have been implied by my talk about a turbo, lol. I am used to building high performance 4 cylinder engines, which is why I am more apt to go turbo, but on the other side of the story, I want to do a supercharged engine just because I never have, and I'm always wanted to try new things out. This by no means is my ultimate project vehicle, that one is in my driveway being built up right now (offroad is what I really like building for). In any event, thanks to everyone for the input, it's a lot of food for thought.