Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Shutter or Misfire or...? Troubleshooting

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2012, 11:27 AM
Default Shutter or Misfire or...? Troubleshooting

I have been having some issues around 1600-2000rpms and mostly in overdrive (I think). Feels like I am having a tranny shudder or engine misfire happening. No codes. Its pretty subtle and has only been going on for a few days. Doesnt happen if I get on the throttle heavily and doesnt seem to do it under certain speeds (30-40 mph). Its on 06 with the 5.3 in it. Oil and tranny fluid levels good.

Any one experienced this?

Thanks for the help.

Old 10-30-2012, 11:48 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Sounds more suspension related. My experience is a trans will usually slip when shifting if it fails, not shudder. And if it was a misfire, you'd notice it with more consistancy (usually).

I'd check out the front wheel hubs, tie rods, even tire tread wear patterns. It sounds like what you are experiencing is pretty small scall, if it is within the suspension, don't be looking for a HUGE sign of "here's your problem", it might be a minor amount of wear and play in something.

Old 10-30-2012, 02:48 PM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012

DOD turning on and off?

Old 10-30-2012, 02:54 PM

i have the same gen fogertyb it ended up being the fuel pressure regulator. it has been clock work for me every 6-9k i have to get it replaced. it will feel like a miss fire the dealer will swap all the plugs wires and coil pack and still do it they end up just charging me for the fuel pressure reg. it is very frustrating i am about to swap the fuel pump to see if it is it. the next time it does it. do to being tired of replacing the same thing. it seems like the pump may be the cause for me. to be honest making my fuel press reg going bad. before going threw that when was the last time did you do a scheduled mantenence like oil air filter spark plugs? do those first it might clear it up once you do it.

Old 10-30-2012, 07:20 PM

dod seems to be working ok. doesnt seem slip in and out of 4/8. gas mileage bout the same too.

plugs and wires havent been changed since i bought it (53k, has 125k now)

oil and filter every 5k syn blend. air filter is cai lifetiem filter and is cleaned along with the oil changes. i do burn about a little under a quart in between changes, but iv heard that is normal with these motors.

Old 10-30-2012, 08:45 PM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012

Originally Posted by Fogertyb
plugs and wires havent been changed since i bought it (53k, has 125k now)
It's unlikely that a tune up was done at 53K, so chances are pretty good there's 125K on the plugs/wires. I don't know if new ones will resolve the problem, but it wouldn't hurt. Has the fuel filter been changed? It may have 125K on it also. If it hasn't been run a bottle of Chevron Techron Plus through the fuel system then change the filter.

Old 11-01-2012, 09:04 PM

its def the tranny...i had that gut feeling bout it too but when driving it, the slip (or what i guess was a slip after today) was so subtle; even my pops who has built transmissions his whole life thought it was a misfire or fuel pressure related problem...but this morning when i stopped at the end of the street to wait for traffic it wouold not engage in any gear when i attempted to pull out. got home from work, went to see if i could get it back to driveway, it pulled in every gear and reverse. then about 50 feet later it stopped pulling again. so off to the shop soon to see what the damage is gonna be...thanks for the quick replies early in the thread tho guys

Old 11-13-2012, 06:39 PM

Did it turn out being the Tranny?

Old 11-23-2012, 09:04 AM
Default Shudder/slipping

I've been having the same symptoms, only in high gear and only on Mild acceleration, or mild uphill, it feels like it stutters, slips in and out or torque converter lock (revs bounce).
If i give it more gas, it goes away, but very noticeable with the cruise control on.
Dealer couldn't find a problem. They sold me fuel injector/throttle body cleaning, didn't help. Then they told me i had a tire problem, yes, the summers were worn out, I put the snows on it.
It's still got a problem, they can't find it, and I'm tired of giving them money. I'm at 207k km, (129k in miles)
I'd be real interested in finding out what the OP's problem was and how it got fixed.
Thanx,
Tom

Old 11-24-2012, 07:41 AM

Well so far all I tried was.

New Plugs,
New Wires,
New Ignition Module,
New Knock Sensor and cable,
Used TPS sensor, and a
New PCV Valve.
Disconnecting the MAF doesnt help.

I took out thte ELM327 Bluetooth adapter and hooked it up to my phone, the only thing I notice is that when it does the shutter, my Vacuum pressure is between -6 and -2 in/Hg. I have no idea what in the world that means but it does seem a to be a constant.

I am going to be seafoaming the intake and gas tank this weekend.

Quick Reply: Shutter or Misfire or...? Troubleshooting