Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

shorter dogbones

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 08:28 PM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Your gonna get some vibration. I flipped my stock ones and got a little vibration, but I love the extra firmness. You dont need poly unless your racing.

Old 03-13-2010, 08:29 PM

It depends what you want out of your car. When most people talk about poly engine mounts- they talk about replacing the factory square/hollow rubber bushings (the one on the radiator side) with solid, hard poly.

I have them in my monte- and I LOVE them; with the cam, the whole car shakes like crazy at idle- mirrors vibrating, dash rattling. That is also the exact reason why they are NOT in either of my daily drivers- even with a stock cam, I don't want that kind of feel every single day commuting. Both of my daily drivers have stock rubber mounts that are turned 90* (so the rubber insert is horizontal instead of vertical)- that gives a bit less movement for the engine, but also keeps the dash from rattling and such because it is still soft rubber.

Old 03-14-2010, 12:02 AM
Monte Of The Month -- February 2009
2009 Monte Of The Year

there's this poly you can replace too on the dog bones.

http://intense-racing.com/Merchant2/...tegory_Code=BS

on the side, when you tighten up the bolt on the dog bone to the driver's side mount. make sure you don't over tighten it cuz the driver's side mount will break, it's aluminum so you can't over tighten trust me lol. well if you do break yours pm me cuz i have extra.

Old 03-14-2010, 01:43 AM
STILL SLOW
10 Year Member

I totally agree with bumpin on the vibration. If Im going up a steep hill on cruise at a low rpm, the car shakes like CRAZY!!! Thats just a 90* flip, I couldnt imagine poly ones.

Old 03-14-2010, 03:17 AM

It really vibrates that bad? Most of the reviews on ZZP said it was barely noticeable, and for the most part tolerable.

Old 03-14-2010, 04:23 AM
STILL SLOW
10 Year Member

Idk I think my cam position sensor is bad too, that could be adding to it.

Old 03-14-2010, 11:59 AM

there's this poly you can replace too on the dog bones.

http://intense-racing.com/Merchant2/...tegory_Code=BS
I also run those on my monte- and I'll definitely say that replacing the square mounts caused at least 95% of the increase in vibration, and replacing these round ones maybe the other 5%. On the other hand- how much firmer is the engine going to be for $50- I just don't see that being a worthwhile mod unless you want it just a pinch firmer (ie you have already rotated the fronts and want a pinch more). But for $50- most people are better off putting that towards something to add power. Only reason I put them on my monte is I got them dirt cheap off clubgp- NIB from someone who was demodding.

It really vibrates that bad? Most of the reviews on ZZP said it was barely noticeable, and for the most part tolerable.
They may have changed to a softer poly since I've dealt with them- but I've helped install probably 5 or 6 sets- I'd say at least 2-3 of those guys took them back out- and all of them had a good bit of vibration with the various brands.

My thing has always been with my daily drivers- I don't think the tiny gain in responsiveness is worth the money or any added vibration (over a rotated stock mount)- its not like you're going to gain any power- you're just talking milliseconds of response time for the power to hit the wheels. Some people are more tolerant to the vibration than others- just depends on the person.

Old 03-20-2010, 10:26 AM
10 Year Member

okay whats this about flipping them 90*?? could someone fill me in on this cause id like to have it a little bit firmer. are you talking about the square things in the dogbones??

Old 03-20-2010, 11:05 AM
STILL SLOW
10 Year Member

Yes the square things. Your gonna need some wd40 and 2 socket wrenches, or 2 wrenches that fit lol.

Old 03-20-2010, 11:08 AM
10 Year Member

sorry for my ignorance but which way do you flip them foward of back, how exactly do you do this?/

Quick Reply: shorter dogbones