Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Rough Shifting Transmission.

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2011, 10:51 AM

Hi Timpson...I took my Monte to the chevy dealership...the tech said there was no code stored...He did say that the shift solenoid was most likely the problem and its an expensive fix because its hard to get too...its a $50 part but about $500 in labor!! He told me since it isnt doing it that often that i should just wait until it becomes a real problem and then bring it in for service. I will be getting prices for repairs from my local shops instead of the dealership when it gets worse. For now i am just going to let it go cuz its too expensive of a fix and its not doing it all that often.

Old 06-18-2011, 11:37 AM

I had the same problem with a '99 Chevy Venture minivan and the dealer didn't even want to mess actually fixing it. They flat out told me they'd need to replace the transmission. I drove it another year or 2 and traded it in. Mine didn't do it all the time though, and when it did if I turned it off and restarted it, it was fine for the rest of my driving trips.

Old 06-18-2011, 02:46 PM

This always comes up

Changing the transmission fluid and some lucas oil helped mine...

Although I experience the same symptoms (occasionally)

When it happens to me I just run threw the gears myself not sure if this is bad but it seems to remind the transmission how to shift

Old 06-19-2011, 06:46 AM

Took mine to the dealer as well they said the valve body failed inspection $1200 to fix

Old 06-19-2011, 02:23 PM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by KJRich
I had the same problem with a '99 Chevy Venture minivan and the dealer didn't even want to mess actually fixing it. They flat out told me they'd need to replace the transmission. I drove it another year or 2 and traded it in. Mine didn't do it all the time though, and when it did if I turned it off and restarted it, it was fine for the rest of my driving trips.
Me too. They said it could last 100 or 10000 miles so just drive it till it broke. It never did.

Old 06-19-2011, 08:34 PM

Thanx for the replies, I will try to figure this one out

Old 04-05-2013, 05:10 PM
Default 03 Monte Carlo Shifting problems

Your not the only ones experiencing these problems. Last November I replaced Catalytic converter after experiencing problems accelerating now the problem I am having is that the car shifts really hard almost clunking through 1, 2 and 3 sometimes 4. That has been going on since I got the car last September and usually happens as you stated after the car has warmed up and been driving for a while. Well yesterday the car is having problems going from first to second gear as it hesitates then when it finds second gear then lurches forward as if it as found some unknown speed. My question is what was the final solution to your guy's problem and how much did it cost you? The other question is this a common problem with Monte Carlos? I've read that it seems to be and once you replace it once it is only a matter of time until the transmission is going to need service again

Thanks for all the help
Chris

Old 09-23-2013, 08:43 AM

My 2003 just threw a PO 741 yesterday. I changed the tranny fluid immediately but the car quest filter didn't fit the orifice. I had to put the old filter driving back on. Not fun. After driving 40 miles the car wouldn't shift into 4th. I topped off the fluid and drove and it was slow to shift again Now what?

Old 12-09-2013, 09:56 PM
Default Transmission solenoids were replaced

I toke the car to a local repair shop I thought would give me a break. Wrong. Costed out at $1300 to replace the solenoid. The problem disappeared for about 3000 miles. I went to an auto parts store and brought fuses replacing all of them. As it turned out the car ran much better electrically. However the catalytic converter went yesterday after an intake manifold swap. I have a down pipe on the way from ZZ Performance.
Will advise

a po

Old 12-10-2013, 04:15 PM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

im having the same problem, it shifts hard between gears, sometimes it takes a min to shift, sometimes it feels like it slips, i put lucas trans fix in it and i feel as though it did nothing, i was thinking about taking it too aamco when tax season comes, this way i get a part and labor warranty for a year.

Quick Reply: Rough Shifting Transmission.