Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Rebuild Tranny or Upgrade?

Old 09-08-2008, 08:01 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Rebuild Tranny or Upgrade?

I currently have a '00 SS, completely stock.

Ordered a K&N CAI, and will be putting that in. Will also be installing a Borla Cat-back exhaust sometime. In the future I plan on supercharging it and constantly working on the car.

However, right now I have a busted torque hammer in my Tranny, and it skips and jerks me around so that has become a priority with my money, but should I bother rebuilding it, or should I just try to get a 4t65e HD put in?

Or are there other, better options, that I should be considering. (I'm young and new at this)

Old 09-08-2008, 08:12 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2009
5 Year Member
Default RE: Rebuild Tranny or Upgrade?

If you are planning on supercharging, I wouldnt have the tranny rebuilt, because once you do supercharge it, the non HD tranny will not hold the power and you will have wasted your money. You could find an HD tranny and install it now and supercharge later, or you can buy an aftermarket transmission that is already built for the power.

Old 09-08-2008, 08:15 PM

I fyour planning on doing anythign with it that would add more power to it or cause you to be harder on it then you are now I would rebuild it and ask them to upgrade it as you do it.

It will be money well spent to over do it here then it will to have to do it again beuse you break a shaft the first time you get in to it hard.

but this is my .02
I have always added a shift kit,better clutches,and also the heavy duty rebuild kits in all of my car. I have never had a tranny fail due to me putting to much in to it.
Now i did have one fail after hitting a speed bump once to hard

Old 09-08-2008, 09:33 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2009
5 Year Member

ORIGINAL: mickey

Now i did have one fail after hitting a speed bump once to hard
It didnt happen to be a dodge did it? lol j/k
But seriously, that wouldnt surpriseme at all.

Old 09-09-2008, 07:41 AM

However, right now I have a busted torque hammer in my Tranny
What is a torque hammer? Do you mean torque converter?

but should I bother rebuilding it, or should I just try to get a 4t65e HD put in?
Neither- just get a used stock replacment- check on clubgp.com in the classifieds or go to moradpartscompany.com

A fully built 4t65 is serious cash- like $4k plus. Rather than speculate on what you may do in the future (as most dont go through with it)- do a stock 4t65e now (which I've seen go for $300 with decent mileage), and when you actually do put the money into serious mods- then look into a tranny build.

A 4t65hd is no stronger than your current trans as far as racing goes- you'll need a new passenger axle, and it has a lower gear ratio, so you'll be slower in the meantime.

because once you do supercharge it, the non HD tranny will not hold the power and you will have wasted your money.
Do you have any evidence to support that?

The only main strength difference between HD and not, is the diff- and the diff is not a primary failure point with big power cars- it is the input shaft and chain, both of which are identical between the two trans.

The bulk of the diff failures are caused by burnouts where 1 wheel is significantly faster than the other.