Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Reasonable price for an L67?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2010, 11:38 AM
Default Reasonable price for an L67?

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=L67...sacat=0&bkBtn=

The owner wants $2400 for an engine with 73k miles on it. I think that's ridiculous, that engine is almost worth more than my 98 Z34 is.

What is a reasonable price for it?

Also, freight shipping is going to be an easy $200+ as it is.

Old 04-10-2010, 12:38 PM

ya thats ridiculous. If you are looking for an L67 check

http://stores.ebay.com/MORAD-PARTS-COMPANY

Old 04-10-2010, 03:56 PM

That is the exact engine I am talking about.........

Old 04-10-2010, 04:39 PM

Definitely no more than $1000, even with 73k miles- and I'm talking a complete engine w/ all accessories and such. Search Morad parts company, ebay, 3800pro classifieds, and clubgp classifieds, and you'll find one cheaper.

$2400 would almost buy you a 100k mile 97 GTP- no way I'd even spend half a car's value for an engine.

Back when I did my swap (this was like 4 years ago when there weren't as many L67's out there); I bought a complete totalled 98 GTP for $1500. (damage only to the front drivers side and drivers door)

Old 04-10-2010, 10:04 PM

Well this is what he told me and this is coming from Morad.

"This is not just the engine as $2400 would be ridiculous for just a motor even if it had 25k on it

This is for the entire dropout. The drop out is the engine with all accessories, engine harness, engine computer and the Heavy duty transmission as well.

This is 99% of everything you need to make a non supercharged car a supercharged car.

Hope this clarifies

Are you looking for just the motor? If you are what car is it for.

Let me know and I sure I can help you out

Hope you are enjoying the weekend

Sincerely

Bill Keifer

Ebay Manager
216-671-3736 Ext 200 EST Mon-FRI
216-798-6902 Cell # After 6:30 PM EST

sales@moradpartscompany.com

- moradparts"

I could come up with the cash.. it's just I'm not too intrigued paying that much at this point... So any advice on what I should do?

Last edited by SirBoxer03; 04-10-2010 at 10:45 PM.
Old 04-10-2010, 10:58 PM

Umm yeah- don't buy it. It says something about converting non-sc to supercharged, do you have a 3800 and are just looking to do a top swap? If so that's only like $300. Or are you looking for a complete L67 swap?

That guy is still insane- as you said, that is almost the price of a used GTP- a whole car!

Old 04-10-2010, 11:12 PM

well I'm looking to do whatever is best.

So far I know I can get a rebuilt L36 for about 700.
And I heard(on this website) doing an Top Swap can have it's negative effects too.

So I figured doing a complete swap would be best?

My current L36 is crap and needs to be replaced.

What do you recommend I do?

Old 04-10-2010, 11:23 PM

So far I know I can get a rebuilt L36 for about 700.
And I heard(on this website) doing an Top Swap can have it's negative effects too.
Depends what you want to do, a top swap is great if you already have a NA 3800 because its so cheap; but if you have some other totally different engine- its gonna be cheaper and easier to just buy an L67 off the bat.

My current L36 is crap and needs to be replaced.
Refresh my memory- what is wrong with your L36?

IMO if you already have an L36 now- that guy's setup will be a total waste of money, you've already got 90% of the parts you need- you don't need new wiring, a new trans, all the accessories and such- so most of that stuff would be worthless to you.

If your L36's bottom end is toast (ie threw a rod, spun a bearing, etc)- I'd find a complete L67 and just do that. If your trans is really old, then look for an L67 and 4t65 together- and just replace them both. But with how many there are out there now, I wouldn't pay over $1000-1500 for both depending on the mileage- and $1500 better be a pretty low mileage setup.

Old 04-11-2010, 12:32 AM

Originally Posted by bumpin96monte

Refresh my memory- what is wrong with your L36?
It has almost 200k miles on it and a blown head gasket.

Originally Posted by bumpin96monte
IMO if you already have an L36 now- that guy's setup will be a total waste of money, you've already got 90% of the parts you need- you don't need new wiring, a new trans, all the accessories and such- so most of that stuff would be worthless to you.

If your L36's bottom end is toast (ie threw a rod, spun a bearing, etc)- I'd find a complete L67 and just do that. If your trans is really old, then look for an L67 and 4t65 together- and just replace them both. But with how many there are out there now, I wouldn't pay over $1000-1500 for both depending on the mileage- and $1500 better be a pretty low mileage setup.
Hmm are you talking about the Morad company's L67?
Or are you talking about the rebuilt L36 I was offered?

What I would prefer to do is just get an L67 altogether and work my way up from that, because I'd eventually want to get a Cam... Whipple ... but first and foremost, I have to get the engine obviously.

Last edited by SirBoxer03; 04-11-2010 at 01:14 PM.
Old 04-11-2010, 02:01 PM

Yikes- 200k is pretty steep, you're definitely on the right track replacing all of it- transmission included. May as well get a complete engine w/ starter, accessories and all- because all of your stuff is pretty high mileage already. Scratch what I said earlier about being able to keep all of your stuff- other than the wiring, I'd be looking for a complete powertrain.

I just now realize that the $2400 complete setup you were looking at was from Morad's- man that's steep, even for him!

He does have another one w/ 100k miles for $1700:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/3-8l-...item5191d9bd07

that might be a better buy, but IMO that's still steep. He must be running low on them or something.

Is this the engine I'm looking for?
http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/sk...6%20Drivetrain

It says it does not fit the 98 Z34 Monte
but it does say it fits the 04' SS
So... I don't know now lol
for that price, I'd rather get the $1700 complete setup from Morad. That 'long block' won't include any parts from the engine that you'll need- like the supercharger, LIM, all that stuff. You're still going to be missing a good bit to get that engine running, then you'll still be sticking all your 200k mile parts on it.

Any parts interchange will say the supercharged L67 will not be a direct fit for a 98 Z34 -because the L36 and L67 are two different engine codes, and I don't think those interchanges know what kind of engines they are (ie one could be a 4 cylinder and the other a V10 for all they know, they just know the engine codes don't match).

I tried searching ebay, but there wasn't much on there right now- morad has those two; but there aren't many other L67's on there. I tried looking in the salvage car section- and the closest thing was a park avenue (had an L36 though). There is a GTP at $250 right now, but its at 200k with an engine fire, so thats garbage.

I'd search clubgp hard and keep going for awhile until you find what you want. That's where I got my parts car from.

Dunno if this will work:

http://www.clubgp.com/newforum/tm.as...mode=1&smode=1

2001 GTP L67 with 105k engine, trans, harness, pcm, complete , for $750 picked up in new jersey

that's not a bad deal

Another one I found, (edit-but it was sold already, so its just an idea of what you could get if you keep looking)

http://www.clubgp.com/newforum/tm.as...mode=1&smode=1

97 GTP w/ 120k on it (but only 50k on the engine and 20k on the trans!)- granted its $3000, which is more than you were looking to spend at morad's, but it already has a lot of mods:
Engine:
2002 Motor about 50k total miles (always use M1 or royal purple oil)
Comp 105 springs/ retainors
Comp cams lifters
42.5 lucas injectors
Intense S1X cam
Aquamist 2C water injection kit ( extra nozzles lines, new pump (1 yr old))
TOG headers, 3 inch flex (brand new) removealbe 3 inch test pipe(double flange), and bolt on. 3 Inch Pipe to the borla Y and borla catback Random tech cat for inspections( bolts on). 3 inch cutout after cat
DHP Custom pcm, LS1 maf tables, happy **** programing fans on at 175.
Northstar TB kit Plus zzp Maf translater 2.0 (inside car)
Magnose snount, 3.4, 3.0, 2.75 pulleys and belts
Msd wires, will include new plugs (extras, current only have about 10k delcos 41-913)
9 inch K&N filter 4 inch abs fenderwell intake
160 stat

TRANS:
3.29 gears single chain, only 20k miles! Shifts perfect Full race rebuild at dynotech
perfromance, a Intense certified shop 3200 stall converter, never raced!
Stock trans lasted 250+ runs 100k, so I know drive to make a trans last, this is barley broken in.

Interior:
3 Gauges a/f. boost, trans temp. autometer
L67 Scanmaster
Red Carbon Fiber, GTP floor mats

Brakes are 12 inch on front, pads failly new all around, rew rotors on rear.

Also in trunk, New alternator/starter New in box, and a set of slicks with only 2 runs on them, Hooseir Quicktime Pros 9.5 inch wide 26in high
So you could swap the engine to your car, and part the whole car out- and come out way ahead on the powertrain with all the mods, or you could just fix that car up and drive it as is.

See- lots of stuff on clubgp, bad thing is- most people won't ship, so you have to wait for something close enough for a road trip; but lots of good stuff comes through there. Maybe post up a WTB ad?

Quick Reply: Reasonable price for an L67?