Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

6th Gen ('00-'05): Rad flush after LIM gasket change

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 09:43 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Rad flush after LIM gasket change

First, thanks guys. This forum gave me the confidence to tackle this job myself.

All went well except for not having a #10 deep socket. It took me two days because I took a lot of pictures as I tore it down so that I would know where everything went on the build up.

I only have two problem left. First, it starts missing a 4000rpm. The plugs are orginal so I pulled the front three and found they had worn to between 65 and 70. I also ran some Seafoam thru it, so I might have dislodged some crude that is fouling the plug. I have a new set on order and hope that will take care of that problem.

The second issue is "spooge" in the radiator. Some of you guys my age will know what "spuge" is. It keep getting into the coolent low level sensor and shorting it. I have seen and read a lot of threads about flushing the system but nobody addresses the issue of using a sovent that would clean out this "spooge".

There has been so many problem with the LIM gaskets letting coolent and oil mix it's hard to belive that one of you creative mech's hasent come with a way to clean out the cooling system. Maybe just a good flush and refill with Dex will desolve the stuff and eventually it will get flushed out with normal maintenance.

Keep it up guy's, I've got more projects in mind and I know that I can do them with the help of this forum.

Thx

Old 01-17-2013, 09:54 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

You will be doing a lot of rinsing. Clean up what you can by hand, and just start flushing the car. I can take 3 hours flushing these things until I get the water clear.

The sensors get gross, I just disconnected mine because I didn't want to replace it. I keep an eye on my fluids, I don't need a sensor telling me stuff.

Old 01-17-2013, 10:58 AM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

X2 with Mike (Chibi)
There is no "quick" way to flush it in 1 shot....