Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

question about dogbones

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2010, 11:13 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2012
Monte Of The Month -- December 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

My bad, I thought since you were singling me out to answer the question you were kind of calling me a "know-it-all". Honestly, I'd say that the motor mounts really make no difference, but those with higher HP applications use poly (or at least I've read they do) because it puts less strain on something (instead of going WOT and the motor jerking because of the hard metal, it has some give with poly).

Old 02-27-2010, 11:19 PM
Monte Of The Month - February 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

cool dude, I'm not gonna dis a monte man thanks for your response nitehawk, I apppreciate it! later man

Old 02-27-2010, 11:31 PM
15 Year Member

No problem man, I just try to give information when I can.

Old 02-28-2010, 01:27 AM

how about just removing one????
I assume this is for your 'project'? I know some of the GP guys have ran with only 1 for minor weight reduction, and also, I think the CSC kits required you to not run one but I could be wrong (not sure why they would've left the bracket):

Also- the LS4 V8 guys only have one upper mount (as did the 3.4 DOHC, IIRC)- but thier lower mounting system may be different to account for this.

what about people replacing them with polymer mounts? are these better than stock dogbones? just wondering??
People don't replace the whole dogbone with poly- just the rubber bushings on each end (the square one up by the radiator is not solid rubber from the factory and allows a good bit of movement). Installing poly mounts will allow the engine to move less (making it a pinch more responsive due to not having all the slop of rubber mounts)- but transfers a lot more vibration to the cabin. For a daily driver- if you don't want to feel the engine shaking the steering wheel and vibrating the interior trim, then you should leave the dogbone mounts stock rubber.

Old 02-28-2010, 09:02 AM
15 Year Member

I'll be damned - the site I "learned" my info from was completely wrong.

Old 03-02-2010, 01:42 PM

so, bumpin, what your saying is that its safe to run only one dogbone?

Old 03-02-2010, 01:50 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member

On the CSC set-up, doesn't the 2nd bracket that was left there help hold the mount for the CSC? It kind of looks like there's something going through the bushing.

Old 03-02-2010, 02:18 PM

on the 2300s there are 2 threaded holes on the drivers side of the front head. from the info i can gather that is where the supercharger from the old magnuson kits for the 3400 mounted

Old 03-02-2010, 10:04 PM

so, bumpin, what your saying is that its safe to run only one dogbone?
Figured I'd post it up here too instead of just in the PM in case people were searching. I know one CSC setup that only ran 1 dogbone (it was an older kit, not a normal stattama production kit)- and I know a couple guys that would remove one at the track for weight reduction (I even remember a guy shaving the head of his key down to a little stub as a joke, lol).

I wouldn't say for sure that it will work without knowing how the one remaining dogbone mounts to the engine. If it mounts to the engine with a rather flimsy aluminum bracket- then it may be a bad idea without some kind of reinforcement. If it mounts to a big iron bracket (like the coil bracket on the 3800)- I wouldn't worry at all about running 1.

One thing to keep in mind, is that you're adding a lot more force to the remaining rubber bushing (not quite double)- so it will deflect more- I suggest at least rotating the square rubber mount 90* to firm it back up to a stockish level.

On the CSC set-up, doesn't the 2nd bracket that was left there help hold the mount for the CSC? It kind of looks like there's something going through the bushing.
Yep, you're right. I forgot about Zipper's 5th gen monte that just did a CSC:

I assume that it doesn't do anything in terms of lateral engine support, but I could be wrong (the only CSC kit I've really looked at and messed with in person was a bit different than this).

Old 03-03-2010, 10:00 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member

Yeah I would love to go see his set-up right now

Quick Reply: question about dogbones