Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Question...

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 01:07 PM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by chibiblacksheep
Moradpartscompany.com

or

Clubgp.com/newforum
Thanks for your reply, i know of morad they are only a few hrs ride from me.

Old 06-15-2009, 01:18 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

They are a great company to work with. Always call them before you buy something, usually things can be worked out with them.

Old 06-15-2009, 03:43 PM

Yep, get the topswap parts from clubgp.com - you can usually find a setup in the classified section for under $500.
Morad would be able to get you a decent topswap also, but it might run a bit more.

As far as the transmission -
I know that people mentioned you need the 4t65e.
You seemed concerned about the reliability of the non-HD, but the only difference between the two (durability wise) is that the HD version uses a hardened differential and hardened differential cover (and a shortened passenger side axle).
The differential on either the HD or non-HD is not a very likely part to break.
You should be fine on a top-swap with a non-HD diff.
The thing that tends to break differentials isn't so much excess power as it is doing stupid stuff (one-wheel burnouts). So don't do that, and you should be fine.

One big difference between the two is that the HD comes with 2.93 gears, and the non-HD comes with 3.29 gears.
The 3.29 gears will give you better acceleration, so you'll notice that a lot of people up the gearing when they upgrade their transmissions (check the vendor websites, they all offer tons of 3.29 gears)
Keep that in mind, you may regret switching to 2.93 gears in the end.
As was said before, you can find the diff, diff cover, and pass side axle from an HD trans and swap them into your current trans.
-Riggs.

PS. excellent choice with the top swap. you'll love being supercharged. upgrade the rockers when the heads are out (go to the modified stock 1.9:1's), and upgrade the exhaust a bit as well and you'll love it.
I'd go with the topswap over the full L67 swap (assuming your bottom end is in good shape) not only for cost, but also because your L36 bottom end uses a higher compression which will ultimately make more power.
-Riggs.

Old 06-16-2009, 08:02 AM

When you are working with the 4t65e-hd transmission, don't you have to upgrade your passenger axle also?
I wouldn't call it 'upgrade', I'd call it changing. But yes, you should be able to just buy an axle for an 04/05 S/c monte and it should fit (not sure if the pn is the same for a GTP). Its just different length due to the different diff cover.

So what im hearing is, drop in a used 4t60 trans, and do the top swap...
4t65- but otherwise, yes.

my only concern is labor costs, and tuning (neither of which i can do myself...)
I don't know if I'd even consider it if I had to pay for labor. You're talking about slightly more labor than a head gasket swap (which if you're paying usual shop charges is gonna be steep)- plus gaskets, plus fluids, plus parts- I'd almost think you'd be better off trading your car in for a GTP or something, or just leaving it as is. I've seen people pay almost $2000 to get a top swap done which is insane IMO- thats most of the value of the car!

maybe i should just buy a 72 Monte and drop a 572 crate motor in (i dream big!), and leave my current Monte alone (except trans).
You really need to figure out what you want to do first, its an apples and oranges comparison. Buying a whole extra car, plus a $5k+ crate engine, plus labor (I assume you couldn't do that yourself if you can't do a top swap)- is going to be completely different.

Old 06-16-2009, 03:01 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by bumpin96monte
I wouldn't call it 'upgrade', I'd call it changing. But yes, you should be able to just buy an axle for an 04/05 S/c monte and it should fit (not sure if the pn is the same for a GTP). Its just different length due to the different diff cover.

4t65- but otherwise, yes.
I just bought a 4T65-E from morad!

I don't know if I'd even consider it if I had to pay for labor. You're talking about slightly more labor than a head gasket swap (which if you're paying usual shop charges is gonna be steep)- plus gaskets, plus fluids, plus parts- I'd almost think you'd be better off trading your car in for a GTP or something, or just leaving it as is. I've seen people pay almost $2000 to get a top swap done which is insane IMO- thats most of the value of the car!

I will not spend 2k on this...not a chance.

even though i do not have the knowledge/experience, i DO have a very good friend who owns a machine shop that builds race engines, so he will be doing all the work for free! my main concern is that since he builds engine, he don't log to many hours bent over a fender and may not be able to connect everything back in (correctly). and this may cause me to spend more money..

the tuning is more where my concern is, will i need any special (expensive) hardware/ Software to get this done?

the parts for this endeavor are not going to be cheap though...

here is what morad is offering in there kit:
heads
valve covers
lower intake manifold
injectors
fuel rail
supercharger
TB (no maf)
vac lines
idler pullies
brackets
balancer

$650

wiring harness upgrade and injector clips to splice into harness $55

OEM GM gaskets and torque to yeild bolts for $235.

for a grand total of $940...

You really need to figure out what you want to do first, its an apples and oranges comparison. Buying a whole extra car, plus a $5k+ crate engine, plus labor (I assume you couldn't do that yourself if you can't do a top swap)- is going to be completely different.
i was just talking out of my rear on this, more of a pipe dream then an obtainable reality..

I will say that morad is one of the better Junkyard/parts house i have ever used...
i got a full set of leather interior (F/B seats and door panels) plus a 4T65-E trans with 67k on it all for $800... Color me impressed
you can see the interior here
http://www.moradpartscompany.com/pic...%20SS%20seats/

Last edited by 03Monte; 06-16-2009 at 09:09 PM.
Old 06-17-2009, 08:14 AM

the tuning is more where my concern is, will i need any special (expensive) hardware/ Software to get this done?
I'd email ZZP, overkill, dhp (if they're even around anymore)- and see if they'll do a pcm for you. You just need an L67 engine file with a regular 4t65 trans file- nothing real crazy. Should be cheap

Old 06-17-2009, 01:10 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by bumpin96monte
I'd email ZZP, overkill, dhp (if they're even around anymore)- and see if they'll do a pcm for you. You just need an L67 engine file with a regular 4t65 trans file- nothing real crazy. Should be cheap
Sounds easy, but do i need some hardware to flash the PCM with the file?

sorry, im really a noob when it come to this..

Old 06-17-2009, 01:15 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

They send you a whole new PCM, and you send them back your old one.

plug and play.

Old 06-26-2009, 06:40 AM

lol im having a problem trying to find the frame mount from an 1984 olds cant find them anywhere can someone help me lol

Old 06-26-2009, 07:28 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2009
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by 1986monte
lol im having a problem trying to find the frame mount from an 1984 olds cant find them anywhere can someone help me lol
Please dont post your questions in someone elses thread unless it pertains to the subject. Start a new thread with more detail on what you are looking for. Is it a body mount, engine mount, transmission mount? You have to be more specific than frame mount. More details on your car would help too, like engine and transmission.