Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Programmable EMS?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 01:16 AM

I'd suggest checking in your area for competent tuners, don't just get anyone to tune your car. If you like to do things on your own get the HP Tuner with the MPVI Pro and tune your own car. Once you get bored tuning your own, you can always pay the extra credits and tuned other people's MC/GP/Regal/Bonnies, and charge $150-$250 per tune.

Old 03-11-2010, 01:45 AM

I don't want to really tune the car until I install the CT turbo so I'm taking my sweet time reading as much as I can about what the program can do.
I'd rather start tuning ASAP- much more wiggle room without boost, and less power- you don't really have to worry as much about destroying a piston. Sure any tuning you do now will be a waste when you add boost- but it will help you get the hang of it a lot quicker, and you'll be able to enjoy more power in the meantime.

If you like to do things on your own get the HP Tuner with the MPVI Pro and tune your own car. Once you get bored tuning your own, you can always pay the extra credits and tuned other people's MC/GP/Regal/Bonnies, and charge $150-$250 per tune.
Honestly, if you're planning on tuning other wbodys- you're better off with a DHP Powrtuner since you don't have to buy each vehicle credit- its open to all off the bat.

Old 03-11-2010, 08:19 AM

I'd rather start tuning ASAP- much more wiggle room without boost, and less power- you don't really have to worry as much about destroying a piston. Sure any tuning you do now will be a waste when you add boost- but it will help you get the hang of it a lot quicker, and you'll be able to enjoy more power in the meantime.
I've plugged it in and done a few things like deleting the rear O2, but haven't done anything that really changes the performance of the vehicle. I'm still on the theory and would like to learn it better before I go to town.

Honestly, if you're planning on tuning other wbodys- you're better off with a DHP Powrtuner since you don't have to buy each vehicle credit- its open to all off the bat.
I looked around for a DHP Powertuner for months but couldn't find one. Honestly, I would have been better of with one but the HP Tuner will do.

Old 03-11-2010, 08:43 AM

As said befor the HPT does present quite a learning curve. Ive had mine for a year and am still learning more. If you are serious about tuning the car you will also have to find a wideband o2 sensor that you can plug in. just search hpt's forum about it and you will see what i mean

Old 03-11-2010, 12:19 PM

I looked around for a DHP Powertuner for months but couldn't find one. Honestly, I would have been better of with one but the HP Tuner will do.
Before a couple months ago when Tiny Tuner came out; there were 2-3 a month going through clubgp. Now they're a little tougher to find.

Old 03-11-2010, 05:43 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

(montess02 hope you get better service from CT than I did). Okay so this DHP is discontinued? That sucks because I've been reading up on the HP Tuner and the whole car credit thing is weak sauce man. I'd like to have every vehicle open right off the bat. with some heavy searching think its possible to find one? And if you i did find one how much would be a reasonable price?

Old 03-11-2010, 06:50 PM

Yes, DHP is discontinued, has been for a few years now. If you want one- your best bet is to post up on clubgp that you're interested. Used to be (before the latest Tiny Tuner update a couple months ago) that 2-3 a month would go through there. Now, its maybe 1 a month- they get snatched up a lot quicker. Its definitely doable if you really want one.

Brand new they ran $400, used they usually go for $250-325 lately from what I've seen.

The downside to the PT is it is pretty much set only for the GM V6's, and probably will never amount to more than that- so if you have any plans to tune anything else in the future- the HPT may be the better bet (ie like camaros, GTO's, etc).

The other downside to the PT is it is not a pretty interface- the tables are really nothing more than basic excel style tables, with no pretty graphics or anything- there really is no 'polish' to the PT software.

The reason HPT charges per vehicle is because they don't want a company buying a single unit and doing tunes for money without having to pay for each vehicle (or paying a couple thousand for a wide open license). I don't know why DHP quit doing it that way, but its great for the community!

Old 03-11-2010, 08:41 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Alright well than I've got some research to do before I decide which one to pick-up. Thanks man that helps alot