Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

ems??

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 01:02 PM
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default ems??

ok, i want to add mods to my car so badly! But i amnot eactly the most up to par when it comes to working on cars as i would want. anyway, here is my question, i want to know if it is simplier, better, smarter to go with an EMS ( engine management syestem, i think that is right) before i go to purchase headers, exhaust, etc?

i read how some people, and tell if i am wrong, this info did come from tuner mags i might add..sorry, that they had to swap to an diffrent EMS and or tune the car so that is will have diffrent shift points, and will handle air inlet for intakes, or something like that?

i went online and looked up diffrent options and though APEXI, and or PRO COMP are good choices? any help and or seggestions?

Old 05-06-2010, 01:07 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

We use PCM for our cars.

Always tune AFTER you are done your mods.

Old 05-06-2010, 01:30 PM

ok cause i was wondering. then i will buy all the stuff then tume the car. and Pcm is an brand i would suppose, thanks.

where did you purchase the PCM, or is that allready in the car, is that the silver box that was inside the air inlet box, after you take the box out?

i hear people have to retune the way the engine works after they put in turbos and superchargers in cars that dont come equipped with them.

Old 05-06-2010, 01:36 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

PCM = Powertrain Control Module

That is the silver box in your air intake box. You are correct with that.

Yes you have to tell the car how to behave with new modifications.

Old 05-06-2010, 01:44 PM

thanks.

Old 05-06-2010, 09:49 PM

where did you purchase the PCM, or is that allready in the car, is that the silver box that was inside the air inlet box, after you take the box out?
To start, you already have a PCM- it is the computer that runs your engine. Our cars don't need to convert to a new EMS system, we have tons of tunability built right in, and the stock pcm has powered all of our quickest cars (I'd bet even the 8.5 second 1/4 mile ZZP car runs a tuned stock pcm).

We have a couple options for making changes. If you want to change everything (shift points, fueling, etc)- you can either buy a tuned PCM from a vendor for about $100 and just swap yours out with the new on; or you can buy tuning software (like the DHP Powrtuner or HPTuners) for about $500 and change anything you want yourself with a laptop.

The other option is if you just wanted to adjust fueling- they do make the AFC and ICCU, although IMO for what it sounds like you want to do- one of the first two options would be better.

i hear people have to retune the way the engine works after they put in turbos and superchargers in cars that dont come equipped with them.
The pcm has built in adjustment. If you do a mod that improves airflow, the fuel trims in the pcm will adjust and add more fuel. However, if you're doing major mods (like a turbo or SC, etc) you may be outside of what the factory tune can compensate for- or you may be changing parts which need to be hard code changed in the pcm (ie going to a 2 bar map, or bigger fuel injectors). Plus, driving around with the pcm skewing fuel a lot with fuel trims isn't the best plan- you're better off the tune the pcm to compensate for the extra airflow in the tune, so it goes back to neutral as far as adding or subtracting fuel.

Old 05-06-2010, 10:06 PM

ok i want to swap out the headers and go with borla dual mufflers, on an 3400 sfi engine with an spectra intake. if i was to make the mods, i will have no need to get a well tunede pcm.

i am thinking of going with a turbo later on in the build, when i understand more what the turbo and supercharger does, i also want to do alot other things before i go for something that big.

i would like to go nitrous, but that is a dream, i read a lot of mags, about what theses guys have done with their cars and it got me thinking it was more to moding my car then just buy, bolt on, and drive, you have to tune, and make sure it works. i just got confused on things.

thanks for the help, i am gonna read more into it, i got to do my homework. thanks.

Old 05-06-2010, 10:11 PM

i think i heard of guys, tuning their gears. from 3:4 or something like that. the "pulley" talk, i hear that alot with supercharged cars. i always thought that it had something to do with the belt on the side of the engine by the baterry, with the size of the gears, like one is bigger then the other, and it helps to gain power quicker.

i dont know, i think i am way off.

Old 05-06-2010, 11:09 PM

"Pulley talk" would be putting a smaller diameter pulley on the end of the supercharger so more boost is made and quicker. Gears, I would think, would be more along the lines of your tranny/differential.

Old 05-06-2010, 11:35 PM

that is what i was thinking, i am looking all over the internet. i am going to the libarary tommorow to read up on everything. i am thinking maybe a trans swap will help, but then i will have to learn how to drive stick.

Quick Reply: ems??