Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

polished valve covers

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 03:51 AM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- May 2009
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default polished valve covers

just bought a set of polished valve covers from zzp cause they had them on sale for black friday, figured why not. I know they wont be that visible without the plastic engine cover coming off.

My question is, anybody have any tips on how to make the engine bay look cleaner? i dont want the plastic cover anyways, never really liked it to begin with, thats why i decided to do it. i got the valve covers and red zzp ignition wires to clean it up. I was thinking of using polished or chrome wire separators, i think they might be good. anyone else have any suggestions on how to make it look good??

Thanks

Old 11-30-2008, 03:55 AM
Photobucket
15 Year Member
Default RE: polished valve covers

I think i might be the first to attempt this haha. so many searches have come up blank! would the zzp billet throttle body work for my L36? i have the zzp 1.0 pcm but would it require any other tuning? or is it simply too big for my car? Im also thinking billet fuel rails, but those would have to wait till i save enough money to just put a supercharger on it. do it all at once.

Old 11-30-2008, 03:29 PM

That billet tb is way overkill for a practically stock L36. Also, I could never justify spending $500 on fuel rails just for looks- thats awfully steep for such a small part.

If you plan to stick NA for awhile, I have seen some people paint their UIM to match their car- that looks pretty cool. I've also seen people use the L26 aluminum UIM and polish the whole thing to a mirror.

A chromed or powdercoated alternator helps out a bit since its right up there too, as do billet dogbones (although they are kinda steep too).

How is the polish job on your VC's? I wanted to buy a set, but one of my buddys got them, and his were pretty dull- defintiely nowhere near a mirror finish. I guess I also don't know a whole lot of the grading system for polish finishes (they call it a B+).

Old 12-01-2008, 01:11 AM
Photobucket
15 Year Member

well ya the fuel rails wouldnt happen until i get the supercharger on it, since they would have to go on the car then anyways. As for the Valve covers, i havent seen them yet, but i definately know that they will look WAYYY better than whats on their now. I plan on taking that plastic cover off, show some engine off haha. I looked into chrome alternators last night, i wanted to get a 200 amp or something that puts a little more power out because i do plan on putting in a small sound system. anyone know a good site that has one? i dont know what part number i would need, i dont know what my car comes stock with. so many different delco alternators its tough to keep track of. anyways, i was going to do the dogbones because they had them on sale on black friday from zzp, but decided to get the valve covers because they were on sale, and i thought they would just look better, even with there so called b+ finish. I just need to figure out a way to get the wires seperated and looking good, not all thrown together and looking tangled. Any ideas?