Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

pcm issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 02:15 AM

yep, ive got also ported manis, downpipe, and e85 set up, but i need to fiqure out this pcm issue before i put it on.

Old 01-12-2011, 07:22 AM

the pcm has to be tuned for e85 so it wont have nock issues. i have the 7th gen with flexfuel set up i looked into it. it identifies the higher burn ratio and hotter heat ratios as well. as well as bigger injectors do to how different fuel types e85 and the 10 percent regular type of gas. did you upgrade the nock sensor the timing sensor and upgraded the fuel railes as well. you have to send the computer to a programmer or go to a dyno shop that can tune every thing for e85 and regular. what i was told if i was going from a car running regular type of gas to e85 setup a dyno shop has a better chance on setting up the computer for it. because they run the car on the dyno with regular first and run it with e85 and tune it with e85 to help rectify any issues that pop up

Old 01-12-2011, 07:22 AM

What is the Serv Code on the PCM? What year vehicle did it come from?

All PCMs are not created equal.. From 00-03, the PCM didn't control the O2 Heaters, they were simply wired 'on'. Starting in 2004, the O2 heater circuit is connected to the PCM and the PCM controls (and monitors) the O2 heaters for better performance. Not all PCMs have the necessary HW to do this, so an older PCM will cause the codes you are seeing because the PCM thinks the O2 heaters aren't working

You need a PCM with the correct Serv Code for it to have the needed hardware to control the O2 heater circuits

BBEngineer

PS: His issue has NOTHING to do with E85 and you can run E85 without a PCM tune if you have an external module to compensate for E85

Last edited by bbengineer; 01-12-2011 at 07:25 AM.
Old 01-13-2011, 06:29 PM

did you upgrade the nock sensor the timing sensor and upgraded the fuel railes as well. you have to send the computer to a programmer or go to a dyno shop that can tune every thing for e85 and regular.
Some bad info there boss.

Stock knock sensors are fine running E85.
Stock fuel rails are fine running E85.
Stock injectors *should* be fine running E85 on a stock car.
He said earlier in the thread that he has a DHP tuner, so he doesn't have to worry about sending the PCM anywhere or paying for a dyno.
All he'd need to do is scale his injector flow rate tables to add more fuel, then monitor the injector pulse width to make sure they aren't maxed out at wot.
With further mods, you would need bigger injectors and possibly a higher flowing fuel pump.
Ideally you would tune with a wideband to dial in the fueling, but for a car running a 3.6" pulley it's not exactly necessary to go that far.

Old 01-14-2011, 01:32 AM

Originally Posted by bbengineer
What is the Serv Code on the PCM? What year vehicle did it come from?

All PCMs are not created equal.. From 00-03, the PCM didn't control the O2 Heaters, they were simply wired 'on'. Starting in 2004, the O2 heater circuit is connected to the PCM and the PCM controls (and monitors) the O2 heaters for better performance. Not all PCMs have the necessary HW to do this, so an older PCM will cause the codes you are seeing because the PCM thinks the O2 heaters aren't working

You need a PCM with the correct Serv Code for it to have the needed hardware to control the O2 heater circuits

BBEngineer

PS: His issue has NOTHING to do with E85 and you can run E85 without a PCM tune if you have an external module to compensate for E85
thank you that is what i needed to hear, ok so now i can see if i have the right year pcm.

Old 01-29-2011, 05:40 AM

Interesting. So what if you had a 2002 PCM and loaded the bin file from a 2005 Monte Carlo into it? What other differences are there between the two? Only reason I ask is I have been playing with tuning my car with a base L36 file and tuning that to work with my top swap but I also have versions of some 2005 Monte bins they made for me. The latest version I have not tried yet but I will this spring.

Old 01-29-2011, 07:31 AM

well i had a 04 mc pcm in there but i bricked it when i attemped to write to it with a off board controller. bad idea there lol but my buddy had a 02 gtp pcm that would take my bin file so i put that in and now im seeing these codes, im quessing ill have to put in the stock pcm and write to that and hope to god i dont brick it. and pure2sin beautiful monte!!

Old 01-29-2011, 04:01 PM

Thanks man! I know that doing it the off board way sucks but since you can write to our cars while the PCM is connected to the car it's makes tuning a pain. Every time I have the guy who tunes my car change something we have to take the PCM out and flash it with an off board and reinstall it. I do wish I have a 2004 L36 Monte though because of the issues with the trans files/setting and parts being different from 2002 to 2004-05.

Old 01-30-2011, 05:30 PM

Every time I have the guy who tunes my car change something we have to take the PCM out and flash it with an off board and reinstall it.
What's preventing you from flashing the PCM while it's in the car?

Old 01-31-2011, 07:41 AM

Because of the security issues with Monte Carlos. With Grand Prixs you can flash them on the car but with Monte Carlos you can't.

Quick Reply: pcm issues