Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

7th Gen ('06-'07): Overkill tune installed and now having problems.

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2016, 08:59 PM
Monte Of The Month - February 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Overkill tune installed and now having problems.

I've had this tune for over 2 years and never did get around to installing it until this past Tuesday. My mechanic friend had to do some other work on my car so I asked if he could take a look at it for me. He had some issues with install/relearn, not sure exactly what it was because I wasn't there at the time. So now the car seems to run fine but it stalls occasionally when you let off the gas and also at stops/red lights. I did have a new MAP sensor installed at the same time also, could that be the issue? If anyone has any ideas/suggestion that would be great, thanks. I have an e-mail into Wil but I doubt he'll be able to help since I bought it so long ago. Again thanks for everything.....

Old 01-02-2016, 06:27 AM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2016
10 Year Member

You would need to be able to datalog while driving so will or someone could try and find the issue. Without datalogging we would be guessing in the dark

Old 01-02-2016, 11:24 PM
10 Year Member

How does datalogging work and what is needed to get it done. This is exactly what I sent to Wil trying my best to describe what the problem is.

Will, although it's been well over 2 yrs. since I ordered this, I finally found a guy who could help with the install/relearn process without having to go ta a Chevrolet dealer. I will do my best to explain the issues I'm having and I hope you can help out with what may be going on?

My biggest issue for needing this was because of the CEL for 'tighten gas cap' and my mechanic buddy has been inspecting (PA state yearly inspection) my car with the CEL on and just passing me because he was OK with it. I also wanted to help extend the life of my transmission.

Last week I was having ABS and traction control issues so I took it to my friend and he hooked up his diagnostics scanner and found out that I needed a new wheel bearing and the MAP sensor was showing a malfunction? I ordered the parts and set up a time to get that fixed and he said he would see if he could install the new computer for my car. He installed the new MAP sensor at this time also and was trying to do the relearn at the same time. I'm not sure what directions you sent with the tune, I only remember the paper with the key diagrams for the crankshaft position relearn instructions and nothing else? I found some info on the montecarloforum and sent them to him. I was not there when he was doing all this, so I'm not sure what all he tried? I sent him these instructions.

1. First, insert the ignition key and turn the ignition switch to the “On” position (Do not start the engine). Leave the switch on for 11 minutes. The security light may flash or be on steady during this 11 minute period. Make sure the light is no longer on or flashing before proceeding to #2 .
2. Turn the ignition switch off for 30 seconds.
3. Turn the ignition switch to the “On” position (as in step #1) for 11 minutes again.
4. Turn the ignition switch off for another 30 seconds.
5. Turn the ignition switch to the “On” position for 11 minutes a third time.
6. Turn the ignition switch off for 30 seconds one final time.
7. Turn the ignition switch to the “On” position one final time and wait 30 seconds.
8. Attempt to start the engine. If the engine starts and runs normally, the relearn is complete. If the engine does not start, check for trouble codes and address them before attempting the relearn procedure again.

He did the relearn a couple times and finally got it to work? I remember reading something about 4500 rpm and then using the diagnostics scanner for the tune to be able to do the relearn or something but I can't find it anywhere right now?

The problems I'm having now are the car is stalling when letting off the gas, usually when coming to a stop. It happened the first night I had it and drove about a mile or so before shutting down for the night? The next day going to work seemed fine, drove about 11 miles. On the way home it stalled at least 5-6 time at first startup and after a few minutes of normal driving it stalled out in traffic a couple times. Going to work this morning it stalled out right out of my drive way and also going up hill to a stop sign where I had to stop first. Tonight after work I let it warm up maybe 8-10 minutes and it drove good, but again stalled out in traffic going up hill in traffic. It seems to mostly be stalling when letting off gas completely the rpms drop down to 500 then jump up to about 1000. At idle at a stop it will drop below 500 and then up to 800 - 1000 rpms. It seems like the idle needs adjusted but that is nothing I can do like back in the carburetor days...

One thing I'm pretty sure my guy did was NOT disconnect the battery because none of my radio station or clock didn't need reset. So I was going to do this tomorrow and also change out my CAI filter because it needs changed. I doubt the filter could be limiting the air intake enough to make that effect this?

I hope some of this makes sense and you could maybe help or point me in the right direction to get this corrected?

Thank you very much for all your time spent working with these tunes, I hope to hear from you soon. Thanks

Chris

Another thing I noticed is the CEL message for the gas cap still comes on but no CEL lights remain on, is this normal? No other messages are showing at this time and no CEL lights staying on either.

If there are any other instructions you could attach, that would be great, thanks.

Old 01-03-2016, 12:14 AM
10 Year Member

I'm wondering if you didn't get a bad map sensor.... still have the old map sensor? If so put it back in and see what happens (old map sensor wasn't causing it to stall) if you install the old map and it still stalls then it has to be something with the tune.

Only way to datalog is with a tuning software that I know of (there expensive and I wouldn't recommend you spending that kinda money on one)

Old 01-03-2016, 12:26 AM
10 Year Member

You tried helping before and I should have done it then, but things came up and I didn't install it. I do have the old MAP sensor, I will have to do that tomorrow. I just can't be with out this car right now. Thanks John for helping me through this, I do appreciate it very much.

When I was having ABS and trac control issues is when my mechanic put it on a diagnostics and said the front wheel bearing was bad and the MAP was also coming up so I had both replaced with the new tune. I'm not looking for any gains, just the CEL for tighten gas cap was keeping me from passing emissions testing and using my factory remote, I could give a crap about the remote start also. But I did hear it may prolong my trans. I figured there was something wrong because after I filled up with gas the car would start very erratically and that made sense about maybe being the MAP sensor?

Old 01-03-2016, 01:07 AM
10 Year Member

Your welcome bud, I'm curious to see if putting the old map back in solves the stalling issues, if so then the new map is bad. If not then it has to be in the tune. Keep us posted!

Old 01-08-2016, 07:49 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2015
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Did your mechanic do a crank sensor relearn? I know when Will tuned my car he had to do that. Just an idea