Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Overheating AGAIN!

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 01:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Overheating AGAIN!

I have a 02 ss and its really pushing me to the edge... The first time it was running hot the water pump went out and the coolant elbows were trash so I replaced them and the car ran flawlessly even since then, which was like im guessing ?3 months ago?. So yesterday I was driving with my hood off and pulled under the carport and saw some smoke from by the front passenger side of the car and I just blew it off because I just burned rubber from the red light down the street lol. Anyways today I take my little Sunday stoll around the city like I do every Sunday and I get to a red light and look down to see my temp gauge is at the 3/4 mark. I pull into the gas station and see both radiator fans running. The car has been using a lot of coolant as of lately also! So far its been 3 weeks since I filled it back up and its looking good. I never smell any coolant burning or have no leaks that I can see. Opened the thermostat housing to check it out and to my surprise I now have RUST, yes rust, in it now. I never put water in my radiator??? I always refilled with Prestone...

Old 01-29-2012, 02:50 PM

it just happens in there you should really flush and fill your coolant at least every few years otherwise it does get dirty and cloggs up everything....had the same problem with my ford chunks still keep coming out every time i flush it

Old 01-29-2012, 03:46 PM

Get a vacuum test

U may have a leak somewhere

Old 01-29-2012, 05:13 PM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by iMSeRiOuS
Get a vacuum test

U may have a leak somewhere
Thats what I may end up doing. I might get the stealership to do it since Im going next friday anyways to get my abs codes scanned. Having this car is like being in a relationship, I love her but she is expensive lol. If I get rid of her maybe I can get a girl on the side lol jk

Old 02-05-2012, 12:53 PM
10 Year Member

Havent had the funds to get a leak down test done but I have some pictures that show the general area its coming from. I really dont see it being the water pump because it leaked all this with the engine being off.

Attached Thumbnails Overheating AGAIN!-img_0110%5B1%5D.jpg   Overheating AGAIN!-img_0111%5B1%5D.jpg  
Old 02-05-2012, 01:53 PM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013

Maybe a heater hose one of those coolant elbows is leaking. I've heard they can be a real pain to get in properly.

Old 02-05-2012, 02:07 PM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by lougreen03
Maybe a heater hose one of those coolant elbows is leaking. I've heard they can be a real pain to get in properly.
I started taking things apart and felt under the upper coolant elbow and thats what it is... I had it snug when I changed it the first time but I guess the vibrations made it come out a little??? Im trying to make sure its snug as we speak.

Old 02-05-2012, 02:09 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by DRuben
I never put water in my radiator??? I always refilled with Prestone...
I'm going to assume that you are adding a 50/50 mix bottle and those have water in them.

Your engine is an iron block, yes you will get rust in the system, especially common if you run it lower on the coolant side.

Old 02-05-2012, 02:12 PM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
I'm going to assume that you are adding a 50/50 mix bottle and those have water in them.

Your engine is an iron block, yes you will get rust in the system, especially common if you run it lower on the coolant side.
Wow I feel like an idiot . I had to stop working to laugh at that lol.

Old 02-05-2012, 02:19 PM
10 Year Member

Seems like I cant get the bigger one in all the way in. Check the pic and tell me is that how its supposed to be

Attached Thumbnails Overheating AGAIN!-img_0114%5B1%5D.jpg  

Quick Reply: Overheating AGAIN!