Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

opinions on engine/tranny swap

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 08:34 PM
Default opinions on engine/tranny swap

so today a 1998 oldsmobile LSS gets traded in. i had never heard of one so i went and had a look at it. i couldn't believe it has the series 2 s/c 3800 under the hood.

I asked and the dealership and they will sell me the car for 1200$. i was thinking about buying the car to jack the motor/tranny and the cruise control module (i need one) the catch is the car has 170000 km on it. They aren't going to do a safety inspection on it because it's just going to get wholesaled if i don't take it.

so right now i am looking at having to replace my transmission, or rebuild it. i've lost overdrive and after seeing the brass shards in my tranny pan, i have a feeling it'll fail before the year ends. it's the original transmission and has around 250000km on it. My engine on the other hand only had 120000km on it when it was put into my car, and i've only put on 30000km since.

So do i take the chance with the 170000km motor/tranny to gain a supercharger and cruise module

OR

just replace the transmission (when it goes) and worry about power adders later.

Old 05-08-2008, 08:42 PM
Default RE: opinions on engine/tranny swap

d00d if u can get that whole thing for 1200, jump on that!!!!! hell if worse comes to worse you can sell it in parts and make a profit alone. or u can dump it in and or rebuild it then dump it in. but dont let that bargain get away from u

Old 05-08-2008, 08:54 PM

That should be just over 100,000 miles right? I dunno if I'd swap in an engine/trans with that much mileage- the chances of you ending up in the same spot seem too great.

If it were me, I'd take the tranny from it and swap it in (obviously anything would be better than what you've got now), and then do a heads top swap. That way you'd keep your lower mileage accessories and bottom end- and just use the top end from the new car and part the rest out on ebay.

Old 05-09-2008, 06:38 AM

ORIGINAL: bumpin96monte

That should be just over 100,000 miles right? I dunno if I'd swap in an engine/trans with that much mileage- the chances of you ending up in the same spot seem too great.

If it were me, I'd take the tranny from it and swap it in (obviously anything would be better than what you've got now), and then do a heads top swap. That way you'd keep your lower mileage accessories and bottom end- and just use the top end from the new car and part the rest out on ebay.

X2, swap the tranny, do a top swap, and then part out the rest.

Old 05-09-2008, 06:52 AM

[align=center]

Hi `Chad,[/align]
I think if you have the time/tools/ability/$'s
[align=center][/align]
it could work out for you.
[align=center][/align]
You are there to see the Car, and do tests on the
[align=center][/align]
Engine/Transmission that's in the Olds.
[align=center][/align]
Let us know what you decide...Good Luck,
[align=center][/align]
from `Space
[align=center][/align][align=center][/align]
Below site has infor/prices/reviews
[align=center][/align]
[:-]
[align=center][/align]

Kelley Blue Book Price:
$5,075- $5,575

Reliability Rating:
No data
[align=center][/align]

MSN Ratings & Reviews
Click below to read more + Reliability Reports/etc
[align=center][/align][align=center][/align][/align][/align][/align]

Old 05-09-2008, 09:53 AM

I would swap the tranny, it's a 4T65-E HD tranny to handle the extra hp of the S/C motor...part out the car and that should pay for your top swap bro. Keep us updated.

Old 05-10-2008, 11:54 PM

well took the dealer plate and i have the car till tues (i get sun/mon off) on the ride home tonite i walked on it and it shifted extremely hard from 2nd to 3rd. i checked the tranny fluid when i got home and it's cooked. i'm undecided at this point still, but most likely will pass on buying the car. it's not worth just the top swap when i know its been bagged on. and at this point i'm in bigger need of a tranny then a supercharger.

Old 05-11-2008, 11:27 AM

Well just because the fluid is cooked doesn't necissarily mean you have tranny damage. Have the dealership do a trans flush and then drive it soft for a few miles and then get on it. My tranny had brown/frothy fluid when we changed it and it changed the shifting 100% and I took it to the tranny shop that did the flush and they said that it was in good condition.