Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Oil Filters

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2007, 03:03 PM
Default RE: Oil Filters

Space and Wiz,
Thanks for offering to help. I'll need it for sure. I'll let you know when. Space, the production sequence of the car is 998 out of 1020. To answer the other questions, yes it is a garaged vehicle.
I have the windows tinted and with the black paint it looks sharp. I have a 6 hour trip coming upso I will drive it,to get the cobb webs out of the pipes.

Old 08-26-2007, 03:04 AM

there will likely be plenty of arguement, but how can ya go wrong with a factory replacemnt ACdelco?

2000LS,
I will try the AC Delco oil filter also. I hear that they are top quality.

Old 08-26-2007, 09:31 AM

Avoid the Frams. The paper in them is deteriorating much quicker than they used to in years past. I just stick with the AC Delco brand.

Old 08-26-2007, 04:23 PM

ORIGINAL: 04 Intimidator

Avoid the Frams. The paper in them is deteriorating much quicker than they used to in years past. I just stick with the AC Delco brand.
In addition to my car I also have a Chevy diesel PU truck. I had heard that the Fram oilfilters for the truck were not recommended due to poor design and materials. I had used Fram filters for the last umpteen years and never had an engine related oil problem. With that said, I guess I was very lucky. I currently am using the AC Delco on the truck but still have the Fram on the Monte. Next oil change I will definately look into the Wix or Delco filters. On the diesel people say that the air filter made for GM is the best. But on my Monte I have the K&N as I just felt that they make a good air filter and I like the idea of it being reuseable.

Old 08-26-2007, 07:52 PM

I used Frams on my old "beater cars" - Pontiac 6000 LE ($3000) and 2 Fiero's ($1000 each) but they weren't worth the extra upkeep of good filters in my mind. If I blew the engine in them with the high milage they had, so what? I'd buy a good used engine for $250 - $600 and be done with it.

The interiors were great in them and the GM 2.5 Iron Duke engines are a dime a dozen for good ones.

Old 08-26-2007, 09:25 PM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member

my question is why pay extra for an acdelco filter when you can get a better wix filter for cheaper?? i just dont understand buying parts from the dealership if you dont have to...they rip you off

Old 08-26-2007, 10:07 PM

ORIGINAL: wiz kidd

my question is why pay extra for an acdelco filter when you can get a better wix filter for cheaper?? i just dont understand buying parts from the dealership if you dont have to...they rip you off
Good point. But you could sell Delco in your store couldn't you?
I mean, if you wanted to. I see that some of the ones in my local sell them but don't display them. It's like a back room item. Ha, ha.

Old 08-26-2007, 11:54 PM

before i worked at a gm dealership there's a store around here called farm-n-fleet i could by ac delco filters at for a very reasonable price

Old 08-27-2007, 07:11 AM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member

delco is very **** about who sells their products...if you carry one thing you have to cary them all, we're trying to get delco ignition in the store, but wouldn't carry anything else...thats the only thing we want from them (ie. caps, rotors, wires, coils...etc...) but once a store in town carries it they wont allow another store to carry it, we'll get it...its just a matter of time...but we wouldn't switch out our filters, hubs, brakes, starters, alternators, etc etc...the only thing we want is ignition

and the only reason we want that is cuz a couple of shops in town thats all they'll put on...even though ac doesn't even make their own parts...you cant tell them that...they want the ac name....for example the plug that fits our car up here lists (retail price) for $14 ea, the NGK version is $5 or $6, and the ac delco plug is made by ngk (says ngk right on it)

Old 08-27-2007, 08:32 AM

What they are doing with the prices is not right. And to think that when you get parts from the dealership, there is another mark up ontop of that! Thanks for the info, I was not aware.

Quick Reply: Oil Filters