Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

6th Gen ('00-'05): o2 sensor i believe

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2013, 11:35 AM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default o2 sensor i believe

ok, i swear everytime i fix one thing, another problem pops up, like why cant i knock things off the list instead of adding more well i fixed my multifuntion switch and now this pops up, first a code p1133 came up which first said something about the sensor, deleted it to see if it would come up again and now a p0133 code keeps appearing. now i changed it out at 94k around the time i first got the car, its now at 102700, i dont remember what brand i used. so what should i do replace it or try and clean it out?

Old 12-30-2013, 11:46 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

If you replace the O2 sensor, stick with AC Delco or Delphi. Many 3800 owners have had bad experiences with BOSCH.

It may seem like all O2 sensors should be "equal" but they are not. Their calibrations can be a little off from one another.

Old 12-30-2013, 02:21 PM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012

Have you physically inspected the wiring harness to insure no wires are frayed? Do you have any exhaust leaks?

Old 12-30-2013, 07:39 PM
10 Year Member

exaust sounds the same as it always has and i see no problems with the o2 sensor wiring, today it came on both of them. i think imma order one from amazon 30$ for an ac delco

Old 12-30-2013, 08:55 PM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012

Hmmm...it seems to me that you had the exact same issue last time - slow circuit response on bank 1, sensor 1, and the chance of both sensors going bad within such a short period of time is a real oddity. I would inspect your wiring with a fine tooth comb - that includes testing the circuits at the connectors AND the feedback wires at the PCM. About 70% of O2 sensor problems I have come across the culprit has been a bad connection at the connector or a wire that frayed the insulation (from vibration/rubbing) and it was making intermittent contact with the body. This was skewing the signal being sent to the PCM and triggering the trouble code. I'd spend a little time checking and double checking your wiring before dropping any coin on another sensor. Just my opinion...

Old 12-30-2013, 09:15 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Owen, have you changed out your CAT since the last time you replaced your O2 sensors?

Old 01-01-2014, 04:31 PM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by JC Colon`
Owen, have you changed out your CAT since the last time you replaced your O2 sensors?

ive never replace the cat...i was gonna redo my whole exahaust system later down the road tho

Old 01-01-2014, 05:02 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by owens91
ive never replace the cat...i was gonna redo my whole exahaust system later down the road tho
Your cat could be partially clogged. Not enough to cause a performance problem. But enough for your O2 sensor to get dirty faster than it should. I have seen this several times, it's not common, but it does happen. Using Carb cleaner or some such cleaner that does not leave a residue may be all you need to do,

Old 01-01-2014, 09:07 PM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by JC Colon`
Your cat could be partially clogged. Not enough to cause a performance problem. But enough for your O2 sensor to get dirty faster than it should. I have seen this several times, it's not common, but it does happen. Using Carb cleaner or some such cleaner that does not leave a residue may be all you need to do,
So do you mean carb cleaner on the 02 sensor? I had already ordered a ac delco replacement

Old 01-01-2014, 09:34 PM
5 Year Member

OK that works. But here is a bit of J.C. logic for you: How log has it been since you have replaced that sensor? Someone mentioned in this thread that you've had this problem before. That's why I point towards the CAT. Something has got to be causing the O2 to throw a code. So, if I had replaced my sensor in the recent past and I know I will be replacing my exhaust in the near future, I wouldn't want to replace my sensor and have it go bad again and worse, after I put in the new exhaust. I would see if I can make the existing sensor work, then replace everything in one sweep. It may only be $30 but That's $$$ that you could spend on something else. Now if you clean the sensor and the problem doesn't go away, by all means swap it out. I am an expert on how bad your gas mileage can get when you have a bad O2 sensor. And if the sensor has not been in for too many thousands of miles the carbon build up has not been Baked on. It may be worth it to try.
Now, I did this once with my 88 blazer. And the sensor lasted till I could replace it and the CAT. But that does not maker an expert. It could have been Dumb Luck. Hopefully some of the more experience members will chime in to tell you if my logic makes sense!

Quick Reply: 6th Gen ('00-'05): o2 sensor i believe