Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

6th Gen ('00-'05): New vs rebuilt Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 09:03 AM
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep

Fix in a can? Never a real option in my opinion. That stuff probably just tries to thicken the fluid to prevent it from slipping.
oh Im well aware that its not going to fix my problem, im just trying to prolong the life of what I have now and if this helps in any sort of way then It cant hurt to give it a try.

Old 07-30-2013, 09:05 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I know Chibi. And I appreciate your advice. I know I gotta replace/rebuild it. I just need the Band Aid to vet me through till I have the $$$. This being my Daily Driver and all. It's $1500 from TRIPLE Edge. Not including shipping, core, removals install. So I'm looking at about $3000!

Old 07-30-2013, 09:07 AM
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by JC Colon`
I've got a thread asking almost the same thing about my transmission. I thought about getting Lucas and doing a soft rebuild. Filter and fluid. I need the Trans to last until Feb., unless I am lucky enough to get a Nice raise. Until then I think I will do both a soft rebuild with a quart of Lucas in the mix. Then in Feb I can go to Triple Edge Transmissions and get a Rebuilt 4T65e from them.
Yeah I just got the raise but I have what seems like a never ending list of things to get done that take long periods of time for me to do myself because i work construction 10+ hours a day 6 days a week and a decent amount of coin to do. Plus this is my daily driver so I have to pick my repairs accordingly lol Rear suspension, all around rotors w/ pads, etc. etc. etc.. never ends lol.

Old 07-30-2013, 09:51 AM

Pull the trans dipstick, see if the fluid is burnt. If it is, do a filter / 8 qt swap and see if that helped. If it didn't, then you can look into having it rebuilt/new/etc.
New trans Filter, new gasket and flush & fill by a shop or is this a DIY job?

Old 07-30-2013, 10:06 AM
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by KCFITZ78
New trans Filter, new gasket and flush & fill by a shop or is this a DIY job?
I try to do everything my self, exhaust, brakes, rotors, etc but personally I don't have the confidence/time/energy to do that my self, like I said its my DD so I don't want to jump into it and get stuck somewhere along the way and be with out a car so me personally i'll be taking it to a shop.

Old 07-30-2013, 11:17 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

BowtieBandit: It's actually easy to do. But you want to engine and Trans to be cool. I run the car up on Ramps then churck the back tires and apply the Emergency Brake so the car don't roll onto me.
Loosen the bolts on the Trans Oil Pan. As you do so the Trans Fluid will start to drip out the back of the pan. I don't know yet, if these cars have a drain plug? If the do that makes it all that much easier.
Once all the fluid is out you can stop the pan.
Now that the pan is off you can see the filter. There are 1 or 2 screws that hold it in place. Remove those and the filter comes rite out. Remove the old filter and install the new one. Be sure to use the New o rings if the filter comes with them.
Check around the Edge of the pan and the edges of the pan for old gasket material and remove it.
Place the new gasket on the Edge of the pan.
Ensure you can see through the bolt holes, bolt the pan back up (I don't have the torque specs). Fill it with new fluid, and you're done.
Piece of cake!

Old 07-30-2013, 12:22 PM
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by JC Colon`
BowtieBandit: It's actually easy to do. But you want to engine and Trans to be cool. I run the car up on Ramps then churck the back tires and apply the Emergency Brake so the car don't roll onto me.
Loosen the bolts on the Trans Oil Pan. As you do so the Trans Fluid will start to drip out the back of the pan. I don't know yet, if these cars have a drain plug? If the do that makes it all that much easier.
Once all the fluid is out you can stop the pan.
Now that the pan is off you can see the filter. There are 1 or 2 screws that hold it in place. Remove those and the filter comes rite out. Remove the old filter and install the new one. Be sure to use the New o rings if the filter comes with them.
Check around the Edge of the pan and the edges of the pan for old gasket material and remove it.
Place the new gasket on the Edge of the pan.
Ensure you can see through the bolt holes, bolt the pan back up (I don't have the torque specs). Fill it with new fluid, and you're done.
Piece of cake!
hmm, the way you described it does sound like a "piece of cake" but im a fat kid at heart and LOVE cake so I might try it out . My close friend is very very good with cars, iv watched him do top end swaps, fuel injectors and what have you (was on a 97 jetta which is easiest car in world to work on but I digress) so Im gonna have to take a Saturday/sunday with his help in order to do this just to have that extra cushioning of knowledge behind it. Hopefully that will help prolong the life of the transmission. But ill be in Atlantic City this weekend so im gonna be out of commission "drunk" all weekend so she'll have to wait a little while before this is done. but if anyone has the bolt sizes etc to complete this task so I don't go in blind let a brotha know! thanks guys, your all always helpful

Old 07-30-2013, 01:26 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

These cars don't have a drain plug, some aftermarket companies make them, but yeah, you just loosen the pan until fluid comes out from one corner haha

Old 07-30-2013, 01:32 PM
1 Year Member

These cars don't have a drain plug, some aftermarket companies make them, but yeah, you just loosen the pan until fluid comes out from one corner haha
do you know about how much fluid needs to be replaced after this is done? or just a guestimate and then check it from there lol

Old 07-30-2013, 02:15 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

8 quarts of Dexron 6

Quick Reply: 6th Gen ('00-'05): New vs rebuilt Transmission