Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

New guy new question

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 07:23 AM
Default New guy new question

Hi, I'm new to the Monte Carlo forum, not new to the Monte Carlo though. Just looking for a few minor modifications underneath the hood that should get me a bit more out of my Monte when I came across these...Poly engine mounts. It seems like the small price for the benefits is worth it, but is the vibration too much for the DD?

These are the cheapest I could find:

http://www.wbodystore.com/grandprix/...nts-p-302.html

ZZP.com alson has engine mounts, as well as 3800performance.com, and intense-racing.com. Which ones are best? Also, are they worth it? Lastly, is the vibration too much? Thanks for helping a new guy out.

Old 03-18-2010, 07:25 AM

I believe that flipping the front engine mounts 90 degrees will stiffen up the engine more, giving most of the same benefits of poly (front) engine mounts without the added and dreaded vibration, while adding poly mounts to the rear of the engine will benefit you further, and the vibration will still be under control and tolerable.

Last edited by Frosty LS1; 03-18-2010 at 07:48 AM.
Old 03-18-2010, 09:33 AM

Ok, so the add says that the rubber engine mounts are slowing you down because the mounts compress before power goes to the wheels. Doesn't the engine also have to overcome the weight of the crank, flywheel, driveshafts, wheels, tires, the automatic transmission will use up some power, and won't the rubber of the tires flex as well. I mean are we talking about reducing your 1/4 mile time by a few hundredths of a second. I'm cool with any modification, and this will make your engine look better because as the ad says the mounts "are red", but performance gains?

Old 03-18-2010, 09:39 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I wouldn't bother with doing stuff like that until you have more modifications done to your car.

In the exhaust/intake section there is a sticky on how to build up HP.

Flipping your stock mounts like Quartermain said should be enough for you.

Old 03-18-2010, 01:27 PM

ZZP.com alson has engine mounts, as well as 3800performance.com, and intense-racing.com. Which ones are best? Also, are they worth it? Lastly, is the vibration too much? Thanks for helping a new guy out.
I honestly don't care for poly mounts on a daily driver- it is a ton of added vibration if you replace the square ones (the ones by the radiator support). I have them on my monte, and its fun on that- but I couldn't deal with the buzzing, and vibrating, and such all day every day. I'd also vote for rotating your stock mounts first, then go from there (granted its only a very small change- it may give you enough change to be happy).

Ok, so the add says that the rubber engine mounts are slowing you down because the mounts compress before power goes to the wheels. Doesn't the engine also have to overcome the weight of the crank, flywheel, driveshafts, wheels, tires, the automatic transmission will use up some power, and won't the rubber of the tires flex as well. I mean are we talking about reducing your 1/4 mile time by a few hundredths of a second.
They are right, if you watch a wbody on the dyno, you'll see the engine rock pretty hard right when they nail it. I wouldn't say you really lose power- because the only power you lose is in that short time the engine is rocking- after that, the engine is pretty well pegged, and you aren't losing power. I would say they add a pinch of responsiveness because you're not waiting that extra pinch for the engine to rotate before it moves. You are right, in the overall scheme of things its a small change- most of the stuff you mentioned is bolted together, so you don't have a delay in responsiveness other than the inertia change- but you still have to wait for the torque converter to spin up, and you do have a tiny lag from the tires also.

It definitely improves the feel of the car though- you can feel the vibration of the engine- kinda like a subtle drag car, and it definitely seems to respond a pinch faster- but as I said before, on a daily driver, they can be a little much. A lot of people have done them, and then sold them for stock- and others love them.

Old 03-22-2010, 10:49 PM

yeah just flip the mounts for now