Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

New Deep Tranny Pan

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2011, 11:46 PM
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default New Deep Tranny Pan

Can anyone tell me where I can purchase a deep Tranny pan for our transmissions the 4T65E-HD?

Old 10-22-2011, 12:01 PM

never heard of deep trany pans... but ZZPerformance.com sells an aluminum trany pan. why might i ask you want a deeper one?

Old 10-23-2011, 02:44 PM
15 Year Member

Z34Phonenix: Even with 2 tranny coolers I am having a difficult time keeping my temp down below 225F at low speeds. Have opened up my bumper with a swap for more air flow with advise from MillerMonteSS. The added fluid in the tranny will aid in keeping my temp down by sheer volume alone. I have checked with 11 performance distributors and no one has one or has ever heard of it. ZZ did recommend simply making a spacer and using two gaskets once the pan is dropped. This will work but the crossmember that runs from front to back on the drivers side on the cradle needs a little clearance cutting and rewelding and I should be all set. It is the temperature I am trying to control.

Old 10-23-2011, 05:02 PM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

It's not a deep sump pan, but maybe an aluminum pan with cooling fins might help?

Cast Aluminum Transmission Pans !

Scroll about half way down the page...

Old 10-24-2011, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by bahdeets
Z34Phonenix: Even with 2 tranny coolers I am having a difficult time keeping my temp down below 225F at low speeds. Have opened up my bumper with a swap for more air flow with advise from MillerMonteSS. The added fluid in the tranny will aid in keeping my temp down by sheer volume alone. I have checked with 11 performance distributors and no one has one or has ever heard of it. ZZ did recommend simply making a spacer and using two gaskets once the pan is dropped. This will work but the crossmember that runs from front to back on the drivers side on the cradle needs a little clearance cutting and rewelding and I should be all set. It is the temperature I am trying to control.
What is going on that your trany temps are this high? if you are mod'd please list mods in your sig as it helps everyone to know what you have done that could aid in getting you the best response.

without knowing what is done with the car i can only make a few assumptions:
a) you are running a turbo and the A2A IC is pushing heat onto the trany coolers raising temps.
b)you have a high stall converter and 3.69's and your trany is getting too hot
c) your trany is having another problem and is on its way out.

bottom line, something is wrong or not balanced/setup correctly and caussing your high temp issue

Old 10-26-2011, 08:26 PM
15 Year Member

Z34Phoenix: I did an engine swap, have a turbo LS7. The intercooler is water to air and is next to the tranny coolers flipped and below the radiator and does not present an issue. My problem is low speed temperatures. I got some advise from MillerMonteSS on improved air flow for the coolers by opening up the bumper with an Impala bumper. Now from not having any air flow I now have about 70% open area to air flow (Still have to drive it to see the improvement yet). My tranny issue as it appears (assuming everything else is alright) is the fins on the pan are tucked way up into the cradle and have no air flow across them at all. No one makes a deep pan for these cars so I am having an aluminum spacer made now, I will extend the reach on the filter and drop the fins below the cradle right into the path of the air flow when moving. I do not have a high stall only about 2700 RPM's and if my memory serves me right my gearing is either 3.29 or 3.69 can't remember to be honest. The tranny pressure has been increased to about 360PSI from the stock 240/250 and I have eliminated my wave plates and put in extra friction discs. This added area I know will cause an increase but how much I don't know if in fact it does. But for now the bumper and tranny spacer are the steps I am going to try and do before anything else. Both of these suggestions come from this forum and I am very grateful for that information.

Old 10-27-2011, 07:17 AM

sorry i didn't know what was done. if you put it in your sig i would know and save you from having to retell it.

Ok yes increasing air flow and adding more fluid will help. another thing i had considered when i had trany issues with my 4t60e i was going to cut heat extractors in the hood right behind the radiator. so that the air can come out and further increase flow.

are you using the stock cooler in the radiator core? because you dont want heat from the IC and AC to blow back and heat that core. i had tried to bypass my internal trany heat exchanger but ended up with higher temps in the end... it stayed cooler much much longer but would end up getting hotter when running for awhile

Last edited by z34phoenix; 10-27-2011 at 07:33 AM.
Old 10-27-2011, 09:51 PM
15 Year Member
Default Tranny pan help

Z34Phoenix: I have to apologize I am extremely handicapped when it comes to computers and have no idea how to manipulate this thing to enhance my signature or anything else. I do retell things alot because that is the only way I know how to do things and I don't mind. I did add heat extractors in my hood but at the cowl because the vacuum created there is at its highest as I was told by GM when the car is in motion. My w/a IC is at the radiator's lowest point and does not interfere with air flow there. My AC condensor is still in the stock position though. My radiator core is a piece of junk, it is not stock but has been replace once already and will be replaced again. I am on my second Wizard core and it is of poor quality. I will be replacing it with a Griffin core. I think shortly once everything I have done is together I will see how cool things get - I am just hoping for a 10 to 12 degree F drop if I can achieve it. The machinist told me it will be about 3 weeks to make the spacer for the pan and my tech said he has to trim my cradle ever so slightly on the driver's side in order to accomodate the spacer. He will simply cut out a small section and reweld it up with an aluminum structural member of some kind, either an angle or tube. I was really hoping someone knew of an aftermarket spacer but as of yet I guess no one knows because there is just not one out there. It was a way I could save alot of money and time if there was.

Old 10-27-2011, 09:56 PM
15 Year Member

03SSLE: I have the finned pan already but it does not help or if it does the temperature difference is ever so slight. It is tucked up to high in the cradle and there is no air flow across the fins. I am dropping the pan so the fins will be right in the pathway of the airflow.

Old 10-27-2011, 10:00 PM
15 Year Member

03SSLE: I have a pan very similar to that. What I was looking for was the same exact pan only deeper. Can't find it.

Quick Reply: New Deep Tranny Pan