Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Need help with a few issue....

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 06:34 PM
Default Need help with a few issue....

Ok right now I have a couple engine related issue goin on with my monte carlo 1999.

1. My gas needle has for the past year been goin south, it wont read correctly. It is either on full all the time or empty all the time ( yes even when I put a full tank of gas in there ). Im hoping its not a fuel pump because thats 500 bucks I would rather not spend.

2. A couple weeks ago I got a P0440 code and that Mass air flow sensor. I have no idea where this is located but ever since then my gas milege has gotten aweful. I get maybe 250 miles to the tank.

3. I dont know if I can explain this but there is a little hiss somewhere in the engine. Its not a vacuum problem had a friend check that.

All of this im wondering because im trying to repair most of it myself along with the help of some friends. Need to keep this baby goin till im out of college.

Old 03-18-2008, 06:50 PM
Default RE: Need help with a few issue....

You and your friends aren't likely to be able to di much about the Fuel Level Sending Unit. So, put that at the bottom of the list.

The PO440 Code is Evaporative Control.
That might wind-up being a Part you need to have replaced and it might be something you could do.

Find the "Hiss" ... Listen to the engine through a piece of hose until you can hear where the hiss is coming from. If it's something that can be tightened ... do that. If it's something that is broken ... take a picture of it and post it here so we can identify it for you.

I had a slight Hiss that I repaired myself very inexpensively. It was a worn PCV Valve Grommet. They hiss when the PCV Valve gets loose in them. Check yours!

Old 03-18-2008, 11:25 PM

What motor do you have in your '99? 3.1 or 3.8? Normally (if it is the MAF sensor that is bad) They are right on top of the throttle body. Good luck with the hissing sound!

Old 03-19-2008, 03:21 PM

Evaporated Control hmm I have no idea what that is.

The fuel sending level unit, now where is that located?? Would I just replace the fuel pump??

I have the 3.1 motor. Well a friend of mine went to the auto parts store and they havea MAF cleaner so we are gonna locate that and clean it just to be safe. Im gonna try and find the hiss tomrow when its a little warmer out.

Old 03-19-2008, 05:45 PM

If the car is running you don't need to replace the Fuel Pump. But, replacing the Fuel Pump would require taking down the Gas Tank to exchange the pump. The Pump's are inside the Fuel Tank.

The sending Unit's Fuel Level Sensor is inn there too. That's a pretty ambitious project even for a Wrencher that has all the right tools and the ability to drop the tank after disconnecting all the lines and electrical wirings.