Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

My monte wont start ***smh (shaking my head)***

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2010, 01:14 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

@ mak330 & nitehawkjcb: I just replace the battery with the same duralast gold (warranty still was good to swap for a new one)... Which, I had to buy 2 bottles of fuel cleaner for the lady manager saving me money and on the way out, I got her number : ) But still :-<....It will not start! I even change the battery connectors for proper connecction and still no luck. It is still making that (one) clickin sound. This is irritating the hell out of me. I

Old 02-28-2010, 03:38 PM

try to jack it up to get to the starter it sounds like the sylinoid is going bad on it. when you were talking about it it sounds like the starter has a dead spot on it. the timming on it going bad sucks a little when it is cold out but i hope i helped a little. but it also could be the antitheft system to so when you have a chance the starter is the cheapest of the two to fix. go with that first then if it didnt start it could be the antitheft systen acting up

Old 02-28-2010, 03:58 PM

idk mu dad told me he had a car back in the day, that he had to hit the starter with a hammer to fire up. lol ya i would ask the shop where you just got that done at.

Old 02-28-2010, 04:08 PM

@ monte07: yes, your idea already beat me to the punch of what too do next. Thing is, is that I have to get it towed to my mothers house (in her garage) from my area where I live. There is no where to work on my car none other then the street and I don't like when everybody (by me just moving in this neighborhood) omes over to see, see, see, what im doing...lol Still, the towing bill will be high because I live outside the city limits from her.

Right now, I am calling around to see where did I purchased the starter from and if there is a warranty with it.. Lookin for some luck to come!!!

Old 02-28-2010, 04:11 PM

@mak: you know, my mother said the samething just now over the phone...lol Sometimes you do have to tap the starter to see if it will fire str8 up at least. I haven't tried it yet though

Old 03-01-2010, 11:40 AM

ALright, this is strange but this morning I just went outside to start my key with the key and it started right up. How odd!! I cut it off and then cut it back on with the key and it started right up. Okay fine! So, I fugire instead of getting excited, I started it up with the remote start and let it sit (hoping it would change something to the unmechanical mind I have...lol), the car ran for 15mins and cut off. So I tried to cut it on again with the remote and it wouldn't budge. I went outside and even tried it with the key and still the samething. Im puzzled on how can this happen. What could be the reason for this? I just found out (by calling O'Reilly's Auto store) my eyar warranty is up and if I need a new starter, I will have to buy a new one. Where I messed up was buying the part at a off-brand aftermarket auto store instead of stiky with the original specs of the vehicle. So, I am thinking that it could be my remote starter as well that malfunctions my starter.

How long does a starter suppose to last on a car?

Old 03-01-2010, 12:11 PM

Starters should last a long time; however, most parts stores use rebuilds that have some of the cheapest possible parts in them them. Often they arrive in the stores dead. I would always suggest getting quality parts as they often last longer.

The fact that it is failing after using your remote start lends me to believe there is something with the security system causing issues.

Old 03-01-2010, 12:43 PM

@ K-Mac:I think so too. Imma just have to bite the bullet and buy a REAL Starter for the longevity of the vehicle and get this remote start check out. WHats weird is that I disconnected the audio system from underneath the hood and let it sit for 30 mins. Went right back outside and started it right back up (with the key, no remote). So, the audio system is disconnected and I will use the key for now on (until this problem is resovled) to start my car.

Old 03-02-2010, 08:16 AM

I had a remote start on my 98 monte carlo ss. It did the same thing, it was the gas filter and 1/4 of the gas line was 80% blocked. I would change your gas filter and check the line.

Old 03-02-2010, 08:31 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Does a security light come on at all??

Quick Reply: My monte wont start ***smh (shaking my head)***