Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

My 86 monte SS

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 08:24 PM
Question My 86 monte SS

Hey guys.. im not sure where to be posting this but here it goes.

I just got my first american car(86 monte SS 305)
Its completely stock with exhaust and intake, stock headers..
Now i dont know a thing about american cars. i just got out of hondas wich i was into for bout 5 yrs..
OK this post was first about how to install a edelbrock carb on my monte.. i figured my pissing trany is more important.. the seller told me it was a front trany shaft seal.. any tips on changing this.. or does anybody kno wat it actually could be.. the trany wont go into any gear besides park an nutrual
corey

Last edited by 86monteSS305; 07-25-2010 at 10:48 PM.
Old 07-25-2010, 10:13 PM

Anybody wana help or?

Old 07-25-2010, 10:21 PM
Monte Of The Month - February 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by 86monteSS305
Anybody wana help or?

Please be patient, there are a few people here who will help! Just give it a little bit of time, usually the weekends get a little slow. hang in there

welcome to the forum by the way.

Old 07-25-2010, 10:25 PM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by monte carlo 3831
Please be patient, there are a few people here who will help! Just give it a little bit of time, usually the weekends get a little slow. hang in there

welcome to the forum by the way.
Ok sorry! im use to honda forums question are answered with in minutes!

I geus i shoulda made a thread about my "front trany seal" pissing oil everywhere before adding my carb! lol

Old 07-26-2010, 12:47 AM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2016
10 Year Member

wait where is your trany fluid level? if it's full n thats the only gears you have ur trany's toast, but to do it you will have to pull the trans,

STEP 1: Remove drive shaft bolts from the rear end,(much easier than a honda btw) push the drive shaft towards the motor(so the ujoint pulls out of the rearend) drop it down and pull it outa the tran ( Take a greese pencl and mark it's position on the rearend and trans befor removing to avoid vibration after reinstalation)
Step 2:Pull the plastic guard that goes between the trans and motor, then unbolt the flywheel from the tourq converter(4 bolts you will have to undo one spin it to the next and so on)
Step 3: Locate your 4 crosmember bolt and undo them,( make sure you have your jack under the pan at this time) and unbolt trans mount in the middle then slide Xmember out( good time to notch or get a aftermarket one for dual exhaust)

Step4:unhook your kickdown cable from th linkage at the carb, pull your dip stick tube(will just make it easier)and tans cooler lines
Step5: lower the jack a bit and start unbolting the trans from the motor (6bolts i do belive easiest way to get you top one's is a couple of long extentions) lower the jack some more while pulling it back some,
Step:6 pull out your tourq converter set it aside,
Step 7: remove the bad seal and replace with new one and reverse every step,

as for the carb go read the removing the comp of your 4th gen in the 4th gen howto becuase it's not as simple as just trowing the carb on

wow that's a big post from my phone....

Old 07-26-2010, 05:47 AM
Question

Originally Posted by Budsjlm
wait where is your trany fluid level? if it's full n thats the only gears you have ur trany's toast, but to do it you will have to pull the trans,

STEP 1: Remove drive shaft bolts from the rear end,(much easier than a honda btw) push the drive shaft towards the motor(so the ujoint pulls out of the rearend) drop it down and pull it outa the tran ( Take a greese pencl and mark it's position on the rearend and trans befor removing to avoid vibration after reinstalation)
Step 2:Pull the plastic guard that goes between the trans and motor, then unbolt the flywheel from the tourq converter(4 bolts you will have to undo one spin it to the next and so on)
Step 3: Locate your 4 crosmember bolt and undo them,( make sure you have your jack under the pan at this time) and unbolt trans mount in the middle then slide Xmember out( good time to notch or get a aftermarket one for dual exhaust)

Step4:unhook your kickdown cable from th linkage at the carb, pull your dip stick tube(will just make it easier)and tans cooler lines
Step5: lower the jack a bit and start unbolting the trans from the motor (6bolts i do belive easiest way to get you top one's is a couple of long extentions) lower the jack some more while pulling it back some,
Step:6 pull out your tourq converter set it aside,
Step 7: remove the bad seal and replace with new one and reverse every step,

as for the carb go read the removing the comp of your 4th gen in the 4th gen howto becuase it's not as simple as just trowing the carb on

wow that's a big post from my phone....

Wow man great job. from a phone too.. props lol.. and the trany fluid jus pisses all over the ground everytime i start it so im imagining that its pretty low... i geus i should fill it today an take it for a mfast drive to make sure all gears work

Old 07-26-2010, 07:58 AM
10 Year Member

well if it's that bad i'd just say screw it n do the seal first,

Old 07-26-2010, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by Budsjlm
well if it's that bad i'd just say screw it n do the seal first,
im going to put some trans oil in it and see if the car moves. if so i know the trany is ok.

Old 07-26-2010, 10:03 AM

Well guys i put 6 quarts of trans oil in it.. and it moves it was awsoming driving it for all of 6 seconds haha. shifted gears ok and went into reverse. now i just have to change the seal.

Old 07-26-2010, 12:51 PM
10 Year Member

when you get it back in you should drop the trans pan and change out the filter while your at it