Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/engine-transmission-performance-adders-12/)
-   -   6th Gen ('00-'05): My 03 needs new tranny :( (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/engine-transmission-performance-adders-12/my-03-needs-new-tranny-36078/)

asmart82 05-10-2012 07:55 AM

How would I know if my transmission is slipping? I've been having issues with acceleration lately. I feel like I really have to give it gas to gain speed at an acceptable rate and if I floor it, the car will speed up quickly up to about 4k RPMS then goes to shift and I hear a ticking noise. I immediately let off the gas and it shifts fine.

red04montels 05-10-2012 08:40 AM

If it was slipping you would feel exactly that, you would feel it slipping into each gear as it ships and it would kind of pull each time (hard to explain in words).

My guess is that you have a clogged cat, or it's getting clogged. What I would do is run it a little hard for a while and then crawl under it and see if the cat is glowing red, if it is then you have a bad cat. A shop can also do a pressure test for you.

asmart82 05-10-2012 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by trewyn15 (Post 456663)
If it was slipping you would feel exactly that, you would feel it slipping into each gear as it ships and it would kind of pull each time (hard to explain in words).

My guess is that you have a clogged cat, or it's getting clogged. What I would do is run it a little hard for a while and then crawl under it and see if the cat is glowing red, if it is then you have a bad cat. A shop can also do a pressure test for you.

Can I ask why you think it might be the cat? I thought the same thing myself till I heard the ticking noise. I did notice today though that it won't exceed 4k rpm. It never shifts hard and as far as I can tell it shifts ok it just seems to have hesitation on acceleration. Any idea what the ticking noise could be, if not the tranny?

ChibiBlackSheep 05-11-2012 09:20 AM

Not going over 4k sounds like a cat to me too.

And your ticking could be because your exhaust is not flowing out properly. Test the cat first, and then see if anything else is still wrong and go from there. cat is the main problem first.

Jomao_o 05-11-2012 09:59 AM

Ticking, exhaust leak?

STUMPMI 05-11-2012 12:30 PM

I had mine rebuilt a cpl months ago...cost me $1000.00....but worth every penny....

3 yr 36000 mile warranty...
plus 3 free oil and filter changes..(once a year)

asmart82 05-11-2012 02:01 PM

A clogged cat won't be accompanied by any OBDII codes? I don't have any codes showing up. I will try and get it pressure tested this weekend.

ChibiBlackSheep 05-11-2012 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by asmart82 (Post 457036)
A clogged cat won't be accompanied by any OBDII codes? I don't have any codes showing up. I will try and get it pressure tested this weekend.

Not always.

asmart82 05-27-2012 05:41 PM

Replaced my cat/DP with a ZZP one. Fixed my issues. Glad it wasn't the transmission!! The power it has now it amazing!

03SSLE 05-27-2012 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by asmart82 (Post 462001)
Replaced my cat/DP with a ZZP one. Fixed my issues. Glad it wasn't the transmission!! The power it has now it amazing!

I had some irratic shifting problems with my ride also and replacing the downpipe/cat fixed it right up. Glad to hear it wasn't your transmission. :cool: