Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/engine-transmission-performance-adders-12/)
-   -   6th Gen ('00-'05): My 03 needs new tranny :( (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/engine-transmission-performance-adders-12/my-03-needs-new-tranny-36078/)

Milhouse 04-30-2012 08:04 PM

My 03 needs new tranny :(

Took my baby to the transmission shop today cause I've been having a pretty bad slip on the 2-3 shift. I was hoping it was nothing too serious, maybe a solenoid or something....turns out I've got some burnt up clutches in there so it's time for a rebuild. I was strongly considering getting rid of it and getting a Charger R/T but we plan on buying a house within the next year so I didn't want to lock myself into such a debt just yet. But as soon as we get our house best believe I will be getting myself a hot rod!

BlackRainSS 04-30-2012 09:05 PM

Sorry to hear that man, hopefully it runs good as new once you get the trans rebuilt.

BHermes21 04-30-2012 09:56 PM

Mine just went in yesterday to get the trans rebuilt, mine was slipping from 1st to 2nd. Know your pain!

lougreen03 05-01-2012 12:04 AM

Hopefully the rebuild will be reasonably priced or you could just buy one of these.TEP Transmissions

ZIPPY02 05-01-2012 04:45 AM

Tough break Millhouse. If you lived closer to me I would give you my factory tranny for cheep, just sitting in my garage for the last 4 years. Have to chuckle that the allure of a new car with all the new technology does make one take the plunge into debt yet again. Good thing you are exercising restraint....Money money money....

Ashley.Marie 05-01-2012 07:03 AM

That stinks! :( mines on it's way out I think, should probably take it to get checked out. Those challengers are sweet!! :D

ChibiBlackSheep 05-01-2012 08:56 AM

Make sure the shop knows how to actually fix the 4t65e.

There are surefix kits that you can buy to put in these, so when they are rebuilt you aren't having the same problem again in a year or 2.

Also, you could try a transmission cooler install on the next one, should help keep the temps down.

2001silverSS 05-01-2012 03:59 PM

My tranny hard shifts in almost every gear except 4th and overdrive . Anyone know how long I can go with out it leaving me on the side of the road??

Mike 00LS 05-01-2012 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by 2001silverSS (Post 453954)
My tranny hard shifts in almost every gear except 4th and overdrive . Anyone know how long I can go with out it leaving me on the side of the road??

4th is overdrive (we only have 4 forward gears). There is no real answer to your question. If it's starting to slip it's just a matter of time until something gives out. I'd drive it very carefully (don't beat on it at all) until you can get it serviced.

monte07 05-01-2012 08:22 PM

when i first bacame a member here i noticed the problems every one had with there trans i got a trans cooler as soon as possible it runs like it loves it. i hope you will get it fixed properly by a shop that knowes what there doing. when i was in virginia i knew a few really good shops that built trans from the ground up and warrentied them for three years well after the warrenty from the place that sold the parts to make sure if some thing went wrong it got fixed right away with in the three years also if it breaks in the fifth year they fixed it as well. when i got my silverado they fixed the trans after i got it fixed in the fourth year to make sure i will have no problems. it was a type of shop if it was a failure by the reman kit they took care of it if it wasent they charged for anouther kit. it is very hard to find some one who puts there shop name and there rep on the line for there work. i havent found a shop i trust to do a system drain and fill that knowes what there doing other than hay i have tools i am a mechanic. i hope you will have success for getting it fixed and will last for as long as you have it

monte07 05-01-2012 08:28 PM

what i meant i havent found a shop in florida that i trust to tuch my monte or my dads or any one i know to tuch there car or trans in that case. still looking for a shop if i need work done to trust enough to have them work on iut i found a bunch of hillbilly type and i always go umm ok i will think about it and go to the dealer for the higher prices. also get reamed. i have found a ac shop i know they know what they are doing they fixed the ac on my silverado they said it was a gasket and a end they made a new end and put in a new gasket on the compressor and it was good to go and is ice cold. it is sad that they only do ac work and nothing else i am about to ask who do you trust if you need major work done on your car

Milhouse 05-02-2012 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by ZIPPY02 (Post 453806)
Tough break Millhouse. If you lived closer to me I would give you my factory tranny for cheep, just sitting in my garage for the last 4 years. Have to chuckle that the allure of a new car with all the new technology does make one take the plunge into debt yet again. Good thing you are exercising restraint....Money money money....

That would have been golden, ever thought of moving out west? :) Man, I was oh so tempted but glad I was able to keep my priorities in order...some things are more important than others, right?

Originally Posted by Ashley.Marie (Post 453817)
That stinks! :( mines on it's way out I think, should probably take it to get checked out. Those challengers are sweet!! :D

Yep, I can think of 2800 reasons it stinks:mad: But at least I'll have my car back soon, and with just 65k miles it should be ready to rock out another 65k.

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep (Post 453853)
Make sure the shop knows how to actually fix the 4t65e.

There are surefix kits that you can buy to put in these, so when they are rebuilt you aren't having the same problem again in a year or 2.

Also, you could try a transmission cooler install on the next one, should help keep the temps down.

I was able to speak to the builder and he seemed pretty experienced with them, even hooked me up with a Transgo shift kit too. But he builds them up a bit, with extra attention on the common failure areas. He works for a company that has done work on our work van transmissions so I have faith that it'll be done right. I guess time will tell. As for the trans cooler, I hadn't thought of that but it might be a good idea. How much do they run? Any suggestion as to which one I should go with?

Originally Posted by monte07 (Post 454057)
when i first bacame a member here i noticed the problems every one had with there trans i got a trans cooler as soon as possible it runs like it loves it. i hope you will get it fixed properly by a shop that knowes what there doing. when i was in virginia i knew a few really good shops that built trans from the ground up and warrentied them for three years well after the warrenty from the place that sold the parts to make sure if some thing went wrong it got fixed right away with in the three years also if it breaks in the fifth year they fixed it as well. when i got my silverado they fixed the trans after i got it fixed in the fourth year to make sure i will have no problems. it was a type of shop if it was a failure by the reman kit they took care of it if it wasent they charged for anouther kit. it is very hard to find some one who puts there shop name and there rep on the line for there work. i havent found a shop i trust to do a system drain and fill that knowes what there doing other than hay i have tools i am a mechanic. i hope you will have success for getting it fixed and will last for as long as you have it

I hope so too...one thing that helped me with my decision was the warranty offered. Alot of places out here only offer 1yr warranties....the place I went with offers a 3yr warranty so hopefully i'm in good hands.

Jomao_o 05-02-2012 09:33 PM

Very unfortunate, while on the topic. Someone school me on "trans cooler" are these expensive to buy/put in?

ChibiBlackSheep 05-03-2012 08:24 AM

Nevermind.

ZZP says transmission coolers are a big waste of time.

Dexron 6 should be enough.

DRuben 05-03-2012 09:42 AM

I think Its directly related to temperature! My car use to shift hard until I got the zzp pcm with the fan turn on at 180? The temperature never comes close to half way and I havent had a hard shift since the install. A tranny cooler should work also but Since it doesnt shift hard Anymore I didnt get it.

Jomao_o 05-03-2012 05:43 PM

Thanks for the update Mike.

red04montels 05-03-2012 05:54 PM

must have been a faulty trans or you were beating on it pretty badly..

why didn't you just get a low mile trans and swap it? not like you're making a lot of power where you'd need a rebuild..

Milhouse 05-03-2012 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by trewyn15 (Post 454701)
must have been a faulty trans or you were beating on it pretty badly..

why didn't you just get a low mile trans and swap it? not like you're making a lot of power where you'd need a rebuild..

I truly think it was something wrong with it for quite some time. Even when it was still under warranty I had taken it in a couple times for a hard engagement problem it was having.....when I'd go to accelerate from a slow roll, 5-10mph, it wouldn't just do so smoothly it would grab very hard and jerk the car when it grabbed. Not a violent thing but it was noticeable, although intermittent. Both times the dealer said it was normal and nothing to worry about....other than that it's been fine until it started slipping on the 2-3 shift.

I don't beat on it at all, i'm a cruiser not a racer. I didn't get a used tranny because I didn't want to:

a.) have no warranty
b.) have to worry about how long it would last
c.) delay getting the repair done

The shop doing the rebuild is warrantying it for 3yrs, since I don't have any intention of having the car that long this gives me peace of mind that any and all transmission problems will be covered. You don't rebuild a transmission only cause of how much power you're running, it not working right due to internal damage is also reason to rebuild.

Frosty LS1 05-04-2012 06:33 AM

These transmissions are known for going out at almost any mileage. While it obviously helps to be gentle on the transmission, change the fluid as often as possible, etc, they can still go out at 50,000 miles with only a few years of age on them, there's just really no telling.

The OP made the right decision in buying a rebuilt tranny with a warranty, this will be more than worth it. I think it's already been addressed, but skip a tranny cooler. Only way I can ever see you needing one of those is if you're boosted, making a lot of power, and have a stall in your tranny or something.

You're interested in the BRAND new Dodge Charger R/T's? I like the look of the new Chargers, but up until recently they've all been pretty slow, IMO. I think the new ones have right around 385HP, which is pretty decent, considering it is a 4,300 lbs car.

Milhouse 05-04-2012 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by Frosty LS1 (Post 454912)
These transmissions are known for going out at almost any mileage. While it obviously helps to be gentle on the transmission, change the fluid as often as possible, etc, they can still go out at 50,000 miles with only a few years of age on them, there's just really no telling.

The OP made the right decision in buying a rebuilt tranny with a warranty, this will be more than worth it. I think it's already been addressed, but skip a tranny cooler. Only way I can ever see you needing one of those is if you're boosted, making a lot of power, and have a stall in your tranny or something.

You're interested in the BRAND new Dodge Charger R/T's? I like the look of the new Chargers, but up until recently they've all been pretty slow, IMO. I think the new ones have right around 385HP, which is pretty decent, considering it is a 4,300 lbs car.

Yep, I learned this the hard way....but now having a 3yr/50k mi. warranty on the fresh rebuild is very comforting.

I like the 2006-2010 bodystyle, but the 2011+ is growing on me. I havent driven a new one yet but I sure hope its a bit more nimble than the previous bodystyle which feels more like steering a boat rather than driving a car. I think the old bodystyle is no longer an option for me, even though I prefer the bodystyle.

asmart82 05-10-2012 07:55 AM

How would I know if my transmission is slipping? I've been having issues with acceleration lately. I feel like I really have to give it gas to gain speed at an acceptable rate and if I floor it, the car will speed up quickly up to about 4k RPMS then goes to shift and I hear a ticking noise. I immediately let off the gas and it shifts fine.

red04montels 05-10-2012 08:40 AM

If it was slipping you would feel exactly that, you would feel it slipping into each gear as it ships and it would kind of pull each time (hard to explain in words).

My guess is that you have a clogged cat, or it's getting clogged. What I would do is run it a little hard for a while and then crawl under it and see if the cat is glowing red, if it is then you have a bad cat. A shop can also do a pressure test for you.

asmart82 05-10-2012 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by trewyn15 (Post 456663)
If it was slipping you would feel exactly that, you would feel it slipping into each gear as it ships and it would kind of pull each time (hard to explain in words).

My guess is that you have a clogged cat, or it's getting clogged. What I would do is run it a little hard for a while and then crawl under it and see if the cat is glowing red, if it is then you have a bad cat. A shop can also do a pressure test for you.

Can I ask why you think it might be the cat? I thought the same thing myself till I heard the ticking noise. I did notice today though that it won't exceed 4k rpm. It never shifts hard and as far as I can tell it shifts ok it just seems to have hesitation on acceleration. Any idea what the ticking noise could be, if not the tranny?

ChibiBlackSheep 05-11-2012 09:20 AM

Not going over 4k sounds like a cat to me too.

And your ticking could be because your exhaust is not flowing out properly. Test the cat first, and then see if anything else is still wrong and go from there. cat is the main problem first.

Jomao_o 05-11-2012 09:59 AM

Ticking, exhaust leak?

STUMPMI 05-11-2012 12:30 PM

I had mine rebuilt a cpl months ago...cost me $1000.00....but worth every penny....

3 yr 36000 mile warranty...
plus 3 free oil and filter changes..(once a year)

asmart82 05-11-2012 02:01 PM

A clogged cat won't be accompanied by any OBDII codes? I don't have any codes showing up. I will try and get it pressure tested this weekend.

ChibiBlackSheep 05-11-2012 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by asmart82 (Post 457036)
A clogged cat won't be accompanied by any OBDII codes? I don't have any codes showing up. I will try and get it pressure tested this weekend.

Not always.

asmart82 05-27-2012 05:41 PM

Replaced my cat/DP with a ZZP one. Fixed my issues. Glad it wasn't the transmission!! The power it has now it amazing!

03SSLE 05-27-2012 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by asmart82 (Post 462001)
Replaced my cat/DP with a ZZP one. Fixed my issues. Glad it wasn't the transmission!! The power it has now it amazing!

I had some irratic shifting problems with my ride also and replacing the downpipe/cat fixed it right up. Glad to hear it wasn't your transmission. :cool:

LAYLOW 05-31-2012 02:38 AM

I have a 02monte ss and it's been back and 4th to the trans shop since january when i had it rebuilt...for some reason when i go past 45 the car starts to shake like it's falling apart..i took it to the dealer and they said that it's the torgue converter jamming up..can someone tell me why it keeps doing that?

ChibiBlackSheep 05-31-2012 08:24 AM

Because a lot of trans shops that don't know the 4t65e very well usually screw stuff up.