Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

6th Gen ('00-'05): My 03 needs new tranny :(

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 08:04 PM
Default My 03 needs new tranny :(

Took my baby to the transmission shop today cause I've been having a pretty bad slip on the 2-3 shift. I was hoping it was nothing too serious, maybe a solenoid or something....turns out I've got some burnt up clutches in there so it's time for a rebuild. I was strongly considering getting rid of it and getting a Charger R/T but we plan on buying a house within the next year so I didn't want to lock myself into such a debt just yet. But as soon as we get our house best believe I will be getting myself a hot rod!

Old 04-30-2012, 09:05 PM

Sorry to hear that man, hopefully it runs good as new once you get the trans rebuilt.

Old 04-30-2012, 09:56 PM

Mine just went in yesterday to get the trans rebuilt, mine was slipping from 1st to 2nd. Know your pain!

Old 05-01-2012, 12:04 AM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Hopefully the rebuild will be reasonably priced or you could just buy one of these.TEP Transmissions

Old 05-01-2012, 04:45 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Tough break Millhouse. If you lived closer to me I would give you my factory tranny for cheep, just sitting in my garage for the last 4 years. Have to chuckle that the allure of a new car with all the new technology does make one take the plunge into debt yet again. Good thing you are exercising restraint....Money money money....

Old 05-01-2012, 07:03 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2012
1 Year Member

That stinks! mines on it's way out I think, should probably take it to get checked out. Those challengers are sweet!!

Old 05-01-2012, 08:56 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Make sure the shop knows how to actually fix the 4t65e.

There are surefix kits that you can buy to put in these, so when they are rebuilt you aren't having the same problem again in a year or 2.

Also, you could try a transmission cooler install on the next one, should help keep the temps down.

Old 05-01-2012, 03:59 PM

My tranny hard shifts in almost every gear except 4th and overdrive . Anyone know how long I can go with out it leaving me on the side of the road??

Old 05-01-2012, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by 2001silverSS
My tranny hard shifts in almost every gear except 4th and overdrive . Anyone know how long I can go with out it leaving me on the side of the road??
4th is overdrive (we only have 4 forward gears). There is no real answer to your question. If it's starting to slip it's just a matter of time until something gives out. I'd drive it very carefully (don't beat on it at all) until you can get it serviced.

Old 05-01-2012, 08:22 PM

when i first bacame a member here i noticed the problems every one had with there trans i got a trans cooler as soon as possible it runs like it loves it. i hope you will get it fixed properly by a shop that knowes what there doing. when i was in virginia i knew a few really good shops that built trans from the ground up and warrentied them for three years well after the warrenty from the place that sold the parts to make sure if some thing went wrong it got fixed right away with in the three years also if it breaks in the fifth year they fixed it as well. when i got my silverado they fixed the trans after i got it fixed in the fourth year to make sure i will have no problems. it was a type of shop if it was a failure by the reman kit they took care of it if it wasent they charged for anouther kit. it is very hard to find some one who puts there shop name and there rep on the line for there work. i havent found a shop i trust to do a system drain and fill that knowes what there doing other than hay i have tools i am a mechanic. i hope you will have success for getting it fixed and will last for as long as you have it

Quick Reply: 6th Gen ('00-'05): My 03 needs new tranny :(